Skip to main content
Topic: AOD Rebuild Tools Needed (Read 5315 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD Rebuild Tools Needed

According to various transmission rebuild books and the Ford Service Manual there are several special tools that are needed when rebuilding a 1987 Ford AOD trans.  Does anyone know what essential tools I must have and where I can buy them?  My local parts stores doesn't sell anything and neither does the Ford dealer.  I'm planning on rebuilding my Tbirds trans in a few weeks.
Thanks, lockedout9 :locked:

Re: AOD Rebuild Tools Needed

Reply #1
Take the trans apart with the manual and when it comes to the replacement of the piston seals take them to your local trans shop and ask them to replace them.
I did and they only charged a few bucks.

Reply #2
I'd have to find a reliable trans shop which is more difficult than rebuilding the trans myself.  I asked the two shops in my area what they'd charge to rebuild my out of car trans and they couldn't quote a price.  They gave lame excuses about internal components need checking first.  All they wanted was to pad their wallet.  Thats why I do nearly all my own car repair because of shops like these.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Reply #3
I'm rebuilding mine and have come to the part where special tools are needed.  I'm taking the two parts and the seal (forward clutch piston and housing) to a dealership tomorrow and they'll compress it together....won't cost anything.  To buy those tools is a lot of $.

Reply #4
What about the end-play spacer and servo selection.  Is the shop going to measure which one of those is needed or do you just put in new versions of the originals?

Reply #5
Special tools needed. lots and lots of time, beer. speedy dry and money.  and for the end a big sharp spike and a sledge hammer.to drive the spike threw the trans. 

buit seriously. if you think you can pull this off good luck  what was wrong with the trans that it needs to be "rebuilt"? one thing i learnd about autos is they dont like being pulled apart and put back together.  and peices seem to get put in wrong or parts end up missing and it's a slipery mess. and then when you think you got it all good and put it back in and it dont work and then you have the fun job of guessing at it what whent wrong.  just be for warned. some will say it's ez  and it's been done. but it's not something Everyone should try or do. but if it's an extra go for it . and good luck .
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #6
The trans slips and is killing the mpg and performance, too much power shifting. I figure, take my time and be very carefull. I did a powerglide several years ago and it was ok. The aod just has more parts. If it don't work right can still take it to a shop.