Skip to main content
Topic: Door Hinges (Read 2589 times) previous topic - next topic

Door Hinges

Hi All...

I have a 1985 Ford Thunderbird that I am in the process of restoring and I need to know where I can get either new door hinges or else a door hinge pin/bushing kit that will work on this model..

I have tried going to Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto and O'Reillys but none have anything listed for my model except for a Door Hinge Roller kit..

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

ThunderGobbler/David

P.S...This 5.0 Thunderbird has been in the family since late 1984.  I even have Bill Elliotts autograph on the Owners Manual..

Great car indeed...

Door Hinges

Reply #1
The local Autozone here had the kits.Have you tried Ebay?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Re; Door Hinges and Autozone

Reply #2
Hi Vinnietbird...

Yes I have checked Autozone and the only thing they have remotely listed for my car is the Door Hinge Roller and Pin..(Motormite 38350)

Looking at the 1985 Ford Shop Manual (Section 44-06), I don't see the Door Hinge Roller shown, but the illustration clearly show the Door hinges and pins..

Question:  Is the Door Hinge Roller the part you must replace to clear up some very sagging doors or else do I have to keep searching for the NOS Door Hinges and/or a aftermarket Door Hinge Pin kit??

Next Question:  Who specializes in 83-88 Ford Thunderbird NOS parts??

Last question:  Can I use a Mustang hinge pin kit to resolve this issue?

I noticed the shop manual claims the Mustang hinges and the T-Bird hinges to be about the same part number.  Only difference is that one of Mustang  door hinge half is welded to the door and the other half bolts to the body like the T-Birds do...

Thanks again for your help Vinnie...

T-Gobbler

Door Hinges

Reply #3
rock auto is where i got mine, top and bottom. It was like $20 for all 4
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Door Hinges

Reply #4
Quote from: ThunderGobble;328642
Question:  Is the Door Hinge Roller the part you must replace to clear up some very sagging doors

Most definitely. I'd check with RockAuto.com, as previously mentioned. You'll want to replace the roller and the striker.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Door Hinges

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderGobble;328642

Question:  Is the Door Hinge Roller the part you must replace to clear up some very sagging doors or else do I have to keep searching for the NOS Door Hinges and/or a aftermarket Door Hinge Pin kit??

Last question:  Can I use a Mustang hinge pin kit to resolve this issue

T-Gobbler

To answer these questions , No the roller will not help a sagging door, the roller only  helps to keep the door open

And yes a mustang hinge pin kit will work on Tbird hinges

What causes sagging doors is the pin and bushing wearing out and becoming oval shaped .
The better kit to get is the one will multiple bushings in it ,some are oversize for extremely worn hinges
 here are some part numbers
Motormite  (help)#38395  Dorman#703-271
Fox-less at the moment

Door Hinges

Reply #6
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-23204-KIT/83-93-Mustang-Master-Door-Hinge-Pin-Bushing-Kit
Our 50resto door hinge master repair kit will replace both upper and lower door hinge pins, rollers, and bushings for both doors. Includes 4 pins, 8 bushings, 2 rollers, 2 roller pins. We recommend replacing the doorstriker bushing when completing your project!

$24.99
;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!