Skip to main content
Topic: 6 x 9 adapters for 1986 TC rear speakers (Read 2477 times) previous topic - next topic

6 x 9 adapters for 1986 TC rear speakers

Hey guys, I found a nice set of Infinty 6 X 9
Specs...
6 x 9" 3-way Loudspeaker
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Power Handling, RMS: 100W
Power Handling, Peak: 300W
Sensitivity: 92dB
Frequency Response (±3dB): 51Hz - 21kHz
Mounting Depth: 2-7/8"

I want to know the best and simplest adapter to use for quick and easy install. Let me know. I prefer a link or actual company I can buy it from.

FYI: I still want to use the rubber straps that hold the speakers in place. I dont like cutting and tweaking my car. I would rather tweak the straps and mounts instead.
Motorsport FMIC, Boport 1.5, Boblee header, gutted upper, profiled lower, phenolic spacer, Accufab fpr, LA3, Boport stage 3 big valve head, 57 trim/stage III Perfromance Techniques custom turbo, stinger 3" DP and custom 3"exhaust, AEM wideband, custom aluminum carnk pulley, Merkur custom A/C setup, PA performance high output 3G alt, dual oil catcj cans, Motorsport Valve cover,full Motorcraft tune up kit, 22psi of LOCO!!

Reply #1
If they have a large gasket on them (some infinity's don't, they have the surround exposed) just stick them up there without an adapter. That is, if the magnet will fit through the small hole in the strap!

I ran an old set of panasonic 6x9s that way. I have an el-cheapo set of clarion 6x8s now.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Quote from: CoogarXR;327130
If they have a large gasket on them (some infinity's don't, they have the surround exposed) just stick them up there without an adapter. That is, if the magnet will fit through the small hole in the strap!

I ran an old set of panasonic 6x9s that way. I have an el-cheapo set of clarion 6x8s now.

Cool, I give that a shot. Its half off tomorrow at the local jy and I will be getting the set for only $12. Cant lose at that price.
Motorsport FMIC, Boport 1.5, Boblee header, gutted upper, profiled lower, phenolic spacer, Accufab fpr, LA3, Boport stage 3 big valve head, 57 trim/stage III Perfromance Techniques custom turbo, stinger 3" DP and custom 3"exhaust, AEM wideband, custom aluminum carnk pulley, Merkur custom A/C setup, PA performance high output 3G alt, dual oil catcj cans, Motorsport Valve cover,full Motorcraft tune up kit, 22psi of LOCO!!

Reply #3
Yeah I was gonna say you don't really need an adapter.

Reply #4
Small bungee cables work for holding large 6x9's back there also. I did that for a year or two before ditching the rear fill. stick some foam or something around the front of the speaker's frame so they don't rattle and you're good to go.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #5
Check "speaker adapters" on Ebay.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
How bout using the grills from a Mk VII someone told me they had 6x9s from the factory.
Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5:p
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
90 LX EL hatch = grey int. stock 5.0 auto
85 GT 1C hatch = parts car :(

Reply #7
I remember on my 1985 Tbird, I just set the 6x9 speakers up against the 5x7 hole and drilled four holes and used machine screws and nuts to hold them up. It was easy to push the rear window carpeting up far enough around the hole to drop the machine screws in from the top.

Bass sounds do not need the smaller 5x7 speaker hole enlarged for a 6X9 as bass is non-directional. The hole is already large enough to accommodate most two and three way speakers with a tweeter and/or midrange speaker built in.