Skip to main content
Topic: anyone know why an all digital dash in an (Read 1805 times) previous topic - next topic

anyone know why an all digital dash in an

1987 cougar would just stop working. was working fine now nothing. I have checked all the fuses. it's not one it's all of them.

Reply #1
Have you checked the electrical ignition switch on the column?
 They have a very high failure rate
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
Is it still off when you turn the park lights on?

Have you had the radio out or moved lately?
Mike

Reply #3
here's what happened. I got the car and the gauges worked. I could see that they worked with the sun on them.the dash lights themselves ( the lights that show up behind the gauges)were not working though. I started to trace them down and found that they had fried a wire.. and it was missing a relay. Now I got the lights fixed but my gauges are dead. i have no reading on them at all.
is there some sort of relay for them as well?

Reply #4
I would check the connector curcit board or what ever its called on the back of the cluster. They commonly go bad.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
yeah sounded out each wire to find that 3 out of four just on the tach only were broken right at the connector pins. No way to fix them tried and ended up ripping the ribbon off back of tach.
No I have to hope I can find a good set of gauges. Or can someone help me with step by step directions to get buttstuffog stuff in my car.

Reply #6
I have a circuit board that I know works , it has been repaired with rear defroster grid compound but it was not actually broken . Its yours for the cost to ship it . :D

Or I know for a fact my local yard has 2 full digital clusters as of this past monday  I can get you one of those for $35 plus shipping
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #7
i am running to the yard tomorrow. let me see what I find and i'll let you know. I don't need this right away as I have a daily driver.. this is my project car. Not sure if I want to tackle the whole electrical thing. I know from posts I have read that the fuel sending unit does not work with anything else but the digital dash. so that means I have to swap out the fuel sending unit. uggggghhh  I just filled it up with gas before I parked it...:punchballs:

Reply #8
I'll be around, if you don't find anything I am glad to help :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #9
thanks, i appreciate it

Reply #10
so how do I pay you for one from the junk yard? I would prefer to pay you after I know you have it. if that's ok.

Thanks,
G

Reply #11
I will let you know when I have it in my hands
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #12
k sounds good.

Reply #13
Here it is :D
40$ will put it in your hands , that includes all shipping and handling charges ;)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #14
You rock.. payment sent..