Skip to main content
Topic: Is the circus in town? (Read 2371 times) previous topic - next topic

Is the circus in town?

Going to give this a try to allow me to keep the TBird accessible to drive (under the canopy) while I have a car apart in the drive and keep the garage clear for work space. 

It's a 12'x30' unit.  The poles near the house are ancd into the driveway, the one corner is attached to the garage post.  Still trying to sort out the side in the dirt.  Right now, 3 bases are attached to a board, and that board is held in place by an other with the car sitting on it. 

I probably should've gotten a 10'-wide unit, so it would fit better on the drive, but oh well.  It had it's first test of weather last night (about 1/2 hour after I got it up), and it held up fine.

I'm probably going to get a wall kit for it so I can block the side off near the fence, and at the gate, to better keep the weather off the TBird when it's out there.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Is the circus in town?

Reply #1
I just helped my dad put one of those up this past weekend so he could work on his '78 Camaro under it.  It was the same size as the one you have.  I was looking at it and I believe if you put some sides and a "floor" under it that you could even use it as a paint booth if you wanted.  They are sure nice to have, especially to keep out of the sun when you're working on the car this time of the year.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Is the circus in town?

Reply #2
I need one of those.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Is the circus in town?

Reply #3
Quote from: Chuck W;325527
Is the circus in town?

gettin ready for friday? :rollin:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Is the circus in town?

Reply #4
Quote from: gumby;325579
gettin ready for friday? :rollin:

Perhaps. For when all the clowns show up ;)

Is the circus in town?

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;325589
Perhaps. For when all the clowns show up ;)

Congress is meeting in Indiana Friday?????

I like the carport I could use one of those to keep out of the sun
Fox-less at the moment

Is the circus in town?

Reply #6
I have one for the race track along with several pop-ups. We use
3 or 4 inch pvc w/caps on each end. before capping end 2, drill a hole in the center of the cap, bolt in a lag hook, fill w/sand and
portable weights to keep from blowing away. It works for me..

Is the circus in town?

Reply #7
I would get some sort of stake or ground rod and put a pin in the top so you can remove it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Is the circus in town?

Reply #8
Well, we've had 2 evenings of py stormy weather, and the thing hasn't moved yet.  I'll be able to sort out something for the dirt side I'm sure ;)  I was more concerned with getting it up and getting it fairly secured for the short term.

Is the circus in town?

Reply #9
If the sides were covered how weather proof do you think something like that would be? How do you think it would handle snow?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Is the circus in town?

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;325636
If the sides were covered how weather proof do you think something like that would be? How do you think it would handle snow?

Well, you can get a wall kit for it, and I plan on it.

This isn't the el-cheapo unit, but it's not one of the commercial-grade ones either.  It should handle moderate amounts of snow, but you guys get more up there than we do here.

For a single car storage, this unit looks pretty solid.  Seems like a lot of features for the price.  Some others have heavier-duty covers, etc, and price can go up accordingly. 
This one doesn't look too bad either.

Is the circus in town?

Reply #11
Hmm this might be an idea so I can keep snow off the 95 in the winter....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Is the circus in town?

Reply #12
I was thinking about this, drill some holes in the concrete and put some 1/2" lags and sheilds in the holes. It could be removable, as long as your okay with a couple small holes in your cement.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Is the circus in town?

Reply #13
Quote from: Haystack;325876
I was thinking about this, drill some holes in the concrete and put some 1/2" lags and sheilds in the holes. It could be removable, as long as your okay with a couple small holes in your cement.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the 6 bases nearest the house are ancd into the driveway. ;)

Is the circus in town?

Reply #14
A pound of protection is worth a whole bunch ..... or, in other words, protecting it will help it not rust so fast.
13 Dodge Dart SXT Special Edition
09 Honda Shadow Sabre ---------- 08 Caliber
05 Aztek ---------- 02 Avalanche
02 Thunderbird (4,000 miles) ---------- 02 Cadillac ETC
98 Explorer ---------- 96 Suzuki X-90
89 Fleetwood ---------- 89 Continental
88 Town Car ---------- 86 Silverado ---------- 84 Fiero
83 Town Car ---------- 82 EXP (32,000 miles) ---------- 82 Mercury LN7
80 Mustang (35,000 miles) ---------- 65 Continental
62 Galaxie 500 ---------- 54 Packard