Skip to main content
Topic: sanding and priming question (Read 1424 times) previous topic - next topic

sanding and priming question

my friend and I are sanding our cars down and priming them ourselves then driving over to a local paint shop to get them painted. I was just wondering if anybody had tips for all the nooks and crannies in the front bumper and what kind of spray can primer is the best?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #1
You need to make sure the primer you plan to use is going to be compatible with the paint the shop is going to use. Most rattle can paints/primers are not.
88 Sport ,306 roller block, flat tops, ARP rods and bolts, Compcam 533 lift/ 270 duration, roller rockers, ported 351w heads with 1.94 - 1.60 valves, 550 springs, 600cfm carb , full length headers, 2.5" dual X-pipe exhaust, MSD ignition, Hughes built C4, Weld Draglites, Tracloc /Richmond 3:73's

Reply #2
i'll post some pics up to so you guys can see my paint now. i have laquor cracks ALL over my car and my driver side fender has paint run, a huge scratch, and terrible laquor crackes (laquor cracks is what a paint shop told me it was).
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #3
You'll never get rid of the lacquer cracks unless you strip the car to metal, or past the lacquer paint. that happened because it was sprayed on way to heavy.
Spray can primer isn't going to your best choice for a paint base, seeing that it's usually also lacquer based too, and will sometimes shrink under your paint. I would suggest stripping it to bare metal and using an epoxy primer. You can get a decent spray gun for say $100, and a gallon of epoxy for around the same price.. a gallon will do both of your cars. you would spend a lot of money in spray cans for 2 cars anyway... Why not go in halves for the right materials, and a spray gun... You may decide to spray the paint too after you practice with the primer. it's really easy to do
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
Alright, thank you for that tip! Im going to talk him into go halvies with me on the gun and epoxy primer. Whats the best way to sand the paint off the bumpers? would i just use a grinder for them too and just be super careful on not grinding into the actually bumper or is there a safer way?

Reply #5
you may need to use a paint stripper on the bumpers, or a lot of careful sanding.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
Oh yea.... Please use a chemical respirator when you spray the Epoxy, and a very good dust mask when you sand the paint.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
Alright, paint stripper sounds alot better. After spraying it on to take of the paint, whats the best way to get all the stripper off the bumper? just a wet rag and be very theral?

Reply #8
i have the dust masks but its really good to find out about a chemical respirator. lol you probably just saved me from getting high off paint fumse and a little dumber. thank you!

Reply #9
Besides the spray gun and other things that Jerry mentioned, you're also going to need an air compressor capable of providing the volume of air necessary for you to be able to spray the primer.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #10
dont use regular paint stripper on the bumpers. they make a
stripper for plastic bumpers. use the other and youll be
throwing them away.big distortion. talk to a paint and body
store.nver try spray can primer on the new paints.--irv

Reply #11
Quote from: irv;325570
dont use regular paint stripper on the bumpers. they make a
stripper for plastic bumpers. use the other and youll be
throwing them away.big distortion. talk to a paint and body
store.nver try spray can primer on the new paints.--irv

Sorry, I forgot to mention that about the stripper
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
alright, thank you very much for your help! i feel more confident about taking the paint and primer off my car now. Also to use  gun and epoxy primer, and wear masks.