Skip to main content
Topic: tech school and surprise build for my dad (Read 1413 times) previous topic - next topic

tech school and surprise build for my dad

Next fall i'll be taking car restoration and automotive collision class at a local tech school. with the skills i learn from the there, the first car i restore is going to be my dads heritage 83 tbird. My dad has done ALOT for me and he used to be a car guy ( so im going to fix up his and my moms first car they bought together. Now the thing that im trying to decide, my dad likes keeping cars stock while my mom loves the rumble of a V8 and my dads will do about anything to make her happy (he is an amazing father and husband), so what im trying to decide is should i get the orignal V6 rebuild or put a V8 either a 351 or 460. Its going to be a surprise for him as a thank you for being a great dad. Let me know if you vote for a rebuild or built tbird! your input is greatly appreciated! Im also going to rebuild his 1973 datsun 240Z with the factor dual carb setup which is pretty hard to come by these days. Im going to build it up to a 300rwhp  fun daily driver for my dad. the 83 will be a fun weekend/show car. Any tips, ideas and suggestions are very much welcomed. thank you
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #1
Quote from: SR71blackbird;324905
my mom loves the rumble of a V8, so what im trying to decide is should i get the orignal V6 rebuild or put a V8 either a 351 or 460.

I wouldn't mess with the 3.8.....a mildly built 5.0 or 5.8 with some good exhaust, no cats and free flowing lers will give you a healthy rumble, and enable you to use your stock drivetrain.

The big block will require a lot of changes, and I wouldn't say that's a bad route to take, but only if you plan on driving mostly in a straight line, or else spend a lot of time and money to put the car and engine on a diet. :D

MY idea: '87-'92 HO short block, good aftermarket cam, aluminum 4bbl, and a decent carb, better-than-stock ignition, gt40 heads, long tubes, no cats, 2.5" exhaust, and some good lers...

Probably wouldn't take a lot to get close to 275-300 horse, and keep some weight down. Then, bigger brakes, swaybars, and some CHE's, and enjoy!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
alright, thank you for that tip! so im casting out the 460 idea. the 351 sounds good. id love to find a first gen lightening motor and convert it to carb for it! they make around 225rwhp stock. so if i got headers, full highflow exhaust (im probably going to get the new dynomax V series, they have valve in the ler when the car isnt WOT the lers valve only lets alittle air by making it quiet but when you stump on it they open up and have know air restriction so its loud) get a pretty healthy cam up past .500 lift, ported heads and a swap to roller rockers, with a 600cfm or 750cfm carb (i know bigger isnt always better for carbs). and just take the lightening tranny with a turbo coupe rear end, V6 mustang springs. im going to keep the stock wheels to give the car a stock look(plus my mom likes to burn the rubber sometimes and it will be easier to burn them if they arent too wide). so it will look and sound innocent but when my mom or dad punches it, whole different beast : )  and other parts i should add besides the basic fuel up grade and stuff like that are very much welcomed and appreciated!
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #3
or a 351 clevland would be a sweet build too. whatever i can find for the best deal to condition ratio.

Reply #4
how bout a 3.8 SC motor?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #5
You could build a 5.8 block cheaper and easier than finding and buying a lightning block. The block and crank are pretty much the same as a non-lightning 351w anyway...

I wouldn't use the lightning tranny, they are electronically controlled and fairly heavy. Built AOD would be the hot ticket.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #6
alright, thank you for the tips thunder! so i should just find any 351 block and take it from there for a cheap way?
now a question for suspension. where could i get a nice suspension for the car? could fox stang suspension bolt right up even though the birds are a tad wider?

Reply #7
you could buy a 5.0, more plentiful and easier to find.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
im looking to get up into the 400hp range, wouldnt it be cheaper to do that with a 5.8?

Reply #9
400hp is alot for any motor, and will take alot for either one. Your not just going to throw on some gt-40 heads and be done. Depending on how well the car is tuned, how it is driven, and the RPM range, it will be within block splitting power. Without boost or nitrous, or both, your not doing it with stock ported heads.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
If your planning on putting something with that much power in the car, I hope your putting a frame under it first.... And another rear end. I would also recommend torque box reinforcement so you don't loose the rear end that you just put in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
400 horses would be easier with a big block. When you start getting into higher HP like that, little things like wet roads become a nightmare. JMO
...and there was light!

Reply #12
i was hoping to find a pair of E street edelbrocks for the heads, and a cam with .550 or so. the block with also be bored .30 over. As for the frame, im going to put subframe connectors. Will i need more then that? Im going to put a turbo coupe rear end in with 4.10 gears or so. Will mustang suspension parts bold right up?