Skip to main content
Topic: Ride control swap (Read 1245 times) previous topic - next topic

Ride control swap

How extensive is the turbo coupe ride control system and how hard would it be to swap into my 87 5.0 LX?
I have a relatively complete turbo coupe to get parts from, car isnt worth saving.
87 Thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 97 p-code explorer block, heads, and intake; 88 HO cam, 1.7 RR's, A9P, Kenne Bell 2.1 Flow/Blow 8psi, 42lb injectors, LMAF, 75mm TB, Tuned by Don Lasota
Trans: 02 Stang 4r70w with Baumann TCS
Suspension: Front: 03-04 cobra springs and struts, TC rack. Rear: CHE arms, ChuckW shock mounts, Bullitt springs and shocks
5 bolt with 95 mustang front and mark vii rear.
TC 3.73 L/S rear
03-04 SVT Cobra 17x9's with 275/40r17's.

Ride control swap

Reply #1
I can't give you the detailed specifics, but I think it'll pretty well sum it up to say you'd be better off swapping ALL the wiring, ALL the components...and using the V8's harness...in essence, putting a 5.0 into a TC...only..you know, what you want to do.

IMO, not really worth it, as eventually the PRC shocks/struts do go bad.

I'm sure an electronic guru will chime in and add/amend what I posted.
Good luck! :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Ride control swap

Reply #2
It was very hard to take out, I can't imagine putting one in, a ton of wires and controls.  Not worth the work.  Good quality regular gas charge shocks would be a much better investment.

TED

Ride control swap

Reply #3
Forget it, there is a arm sized harness that runs the length of the car which also has portions of the ABS system in it, plus there is wiring in the dash, to each wheel and a computer in the trunk(two if you count the ABS controller)... To top it off, the original adjustable shocks & struts are long obsolete, not available period...

Ride control swap

Reply #4
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess i'll upgrade it to aftermarket shocks in the future, when money allows.

What aftermarket shocks will give the best handling? I'm not too concerned about the ride quality.
Thanks,
Chris
87 Thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 97 p-code explorer block, heads, and intake; 88 HO cam, 1.7 RR's, A9P, Kenne Bell 2.1 Flow/Blow 8psi, 42lb injectors, LMAF, 75mm TB, Tuned by Don Lasota
Trans: 02 Stang 4r70w with Baumann TCS
Suspension: Front: 03-04 cobra springs and struts, TC rack. Rear: CHE arms, ChuckW shock mounts, Bullitt springs and shocks
5 bolt with 95 mustang front and mark vii rear.
TC 3.73 L/S rear
03-04 SVT Cobra 17x9's with 275/40r17's.

Ride control swap

Reply #5
I would suggest Tokico Illuminas, Bilstein, or Koni but they are not cheap.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Ride control swap

Reply #6
KYB makes nice  pieces too.
Fox-less at the moment

Ride control swap

Reply #7
I had the tokico electronic pen 15pit adjustables in my 87 lx. It came with all harnesses with the adjustment s next to the shifter boot. Doing it again i would run the regular illumina's because you dont need to change the valving all the time once set, and the cost
is much cheaper. The pen 15pits are nice, but once the novelty wears off you don't need to play with it.:burnout: