Skip to main content
Topic: boost creeping (Read 1767 times) previous topic - next topic

boost creeping

so my boost is acting like a centrifugal supercharger.... ive used a few boost controlers and setups but nothing is working, so im just going to get a new internal wastegate. i was wondering where i could find a internal wastegate for a airesearch t3? or will any t3t4 one work?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

boost creeping

Reply #1
I think what you're refering to is a wastegate actuator. Is your boost spiking? Or is it hitting a certain level, and then bleeding off?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

boost creeping

Reply #2
my boost is acting like a centrifugal supercharger. so they higher the rpm, the higher the boost. it jumps up to 13lbs at 2800rpm, then it slower creeps up to 18lbs at 5000rpm ( i only went that high once just to see if it would keep going. it stedily raises
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

boost creeping

Reply #3
anybody?

boost creeping

Reply #4
18 psi sounds good to me, you should be good to 20 and higher. It sounds like you have plenty of supporting mods.

If you really dont want that much, maybe port the wastegate hole? Make sure timing is good. Maybe adjustable wastegate actuator?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

boost creeping

Reply #5
I agree with bhazard, if you have a stock T3, you should be good to at least 20psi. I would suspect the wastgate actuator isn't preforming correctly. What are you using for a boost controller?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

boost creeping

Reply #6
its not the psi number im worried, its not holding a psi number, it just keeps rising as the RPM's go up. i want it to hold 15psi right now but it wont. it keeps rising

boost creeping

Reply #7
What kind of boost controller are you using? Have you tested the wastegate actuator to see if it's functioning?

boost creeping

Reply #8
once i get my front mount, im going to put my 255 walbro pump and bbk fuel regulator on and then turn up the boost to 22ish. im running a perrin boost controller right now. it would rise like 1psi from 3000-5000rpm but after i got the cat back done (just ordered a stinger down pipe for the elbow) it wont hold boost anymore. any suggestions on wastegate actuator i should buy to replace it? http://www.highperformanceoutlet.com/Perrin-Adjustable-Manual/Perrin/Turbo-and-Accessories/-p7736209.html here is the boost controller i have.

boost creeping

Reply #9
how do i test my wastegate actautor?

boost creeping

Reply #10
Apply pressurized air to it and make sure the rod moves accordingly. Is it adjustable? If it is, the rod running from the diaphragm to the exhaust elbow will have a threaded portion with a lock nut on it. You can use it to put preload on the wastegate. It's not an easy or fun procedure though. FYI.
It really sounds like it's not opening the wastegate far enough when it needs to.

boost creeping

Reply #11
i'll take alook if its adjustable tomorrow. Do you know where i could buy a t3 wastegate actuator at? all the ones im finding say t3t4 or universal.

boost creeping

Reply #12
Ditch the boost controller and run vac straight to the actuator and see if it still does it.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

boost creeping

Reply #13
will the setup i have right now (its the only one that comes even close to supporting boost)is i have a hose running the the turbo to the actuator but in the middle i have a T connection with the boost controller inbetween the T and the turbos intake. and i have a clamp to clamp the hose going down to the actuator. ive tried every setup i could find on the web and my jerry rig is the only thing that comes close. running the hose from the turbo to actuator holds boost at 9psi. ANY other setup doesnt control it overboosts

boost creeping

Reply #14
Quote from: SR71blackbird;324584
will the setup i have right now (its the only one that comes even close to supporting boost)is i have a hose running the the turbo to the actuator but in the middle i have a T connection with the boost controller inbetween the T and the turbos intake. and i have a clamp to clamp the hose going down to the actuator. ive tried every setup i could find on the web and my jerry rig is the only thing that comes close. running the hose from the turbo to actuator holds boost at 9psi. ANY other setup doesnt control it overboosts

Reading on the controller you have, which is just a spring/ball controller, your set-up is wrong.

Take a hose from the turbo outlet fitting (or your boost reference source) to the inlet of your controller.  Then run a hose from the other end of your controller to the WGA. Done.

No T's, no extra hoses.  It's a spring/ball actuator.  It holds closed until a certain pressure is reached, and then dumps it to the WGA, causing it to open.  It is not meant to be used as a bleed.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon