Skip to main content
Topic: 14 inch tires (Read 1941 times) previous topic - next topic

14 inch tires

I have the 14" 8 hole aluminum wheels on my Elan....want to upgrade to some turbine's or maybe some pony's later on...but for now i am going to deal with what i have....are any of you guys running big meaty 14's? I have seen 235/60r14 advertised and not sure how those will look...or even if it is worth it. Have 205/70's on now and they suck! Let me know what you guys think

14 inch tires

Reply #1
What is the width on those wheels?  That will really determine how wide you can go without distorting the contact patch on the tire.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

14 inch tires

Reply #2
Don't spend the money on 14"  tires,go with the bigger wheels and tires.Wheels can be found super cheap (turbines,snowflakes,10 holes).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

14s

Reply #3
i runn 14 s on my mine 215 70 14 s 7 in wheels. were did u fine a 235-60 14 at. i bet there high as hell lol

14 inch tires

Reply #4
i am going to say that they are 6 inches wide? I havent measured, but they are skinny. I know the 15's are cheap......but there arent many sets to be found here in the DC area....moving back to NC soon...maybe i will have better luck there. The 235/60's and i even found 245/60's online....80-90 a piece. have to have some meat in the rear....cant keep the wheels planted just driving around town.

14 inch tires

Reply #5
You will pay less for any similar sized tire for a 15" rim. My local tire shops wanted $120 each for 195/70/14r. I think I am running 235/60/r15's right now. Basically a small truck tire, but my 5.0 is alittle bit tired. I think I paid $25 for four rims and $300 for the new tires mounted and balanced. It was actually cheaper to upgrade to the 15's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

14 inch tires

Reply #6
I had 246/60R 14's on my first T-Bird (85), and it looked good (white letters and all). I had 14X6 aftermarket Cragar chrome wheels on it though. 235's will fit your stock wheels (I believe they are 14X6 as well) with no problems. You might get a bit of sidewall bulge, but IMO that will only make 'em look better.

As for the height, a 235/60R14 would actually be shorter than a stock 215/70R14. A 245 is slightly shorter as well.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

14 inch tires

Reply #7
I had some old mustang 14" alloys, they had 225 60 14's on them.  They looked pretty good, I wouldnt go much, if any, wider.  I would worry about handling/stability problems, just my 2 pennys.

http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html
Mike

14 inch tires

Reply #8
thanks for the opinions guys. Think im going to go ahead and find 2 more turbine wheels. Was just given 2 15" draglites and 2 turbines....maybe i will sell the draglites for 2 more turbines.

14 inch tires

Reply #9
I would sell the turbines and keep the draglites.  The turbines are a bitch to clean and don't look as nice as the draglites.

Darren

14 inch tires

Reply #10
i dont like the draglites though.... too flashy.

14 inch tires

Reply #11
I understand completely.  I was just looking at the maintenance side of things.  If you can wait for a set of ten holes I would as they are nice and easy to clean.  I have a set but I think shipping would be higher than just being patient and finding some local.

Darren

14 inch tires

Reply #12
honestly would rather have 4 donuts than the 10 hole wheels. but point well taken, i will wait until i find a nice set of 15's. hopefully i sooner than later.....these 14's roll over on themselves on any corner.

14 inch tires

Reply #13
If you are still on the four lug setup you are pretty much limited as far as wheel selection goes.  You could opt to go to a five lug setup which would open the door for wheel selection.

Darren

14 inch tires

Reply #14
well i have decided to get a set of each and see what looks best for me. have the 8 holes.....have 2 turbines....just picked up a set of snowflakes....maybe i will buy 2 more turbines to match the 2 i have and then mount my drag tires on a set of 10 holes.......I am going for a "sleeper" look and dont want anything too "flashy"