Skip to main content
Topic: Key won't turn (Read 1057 times) previous topic - next topic

Key won't turn

so my key won't turn in the ignition to start my car.  I got a new cylinder and key, but i can't get the old one out unless i can turn the key to the ON (RUN) position..  any ideas on how to get that fixed?  It's currently parked in the handicapped parking spot at my church and i can't move it...

Key won't turn

Reply #1
Have you tried turning the steering wheel side to side while pulling the key out? Just an idea...is the wheel locked or anything? I have no idea how the lock button works under the column but you may have to take the screws out and take a look at what's stopping it up.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Key won't turn

Reply #2
Is your key really worn? You could go have a copy made. The edges of a new key will be more defined and may engage the tumblers better.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Key won't turn

Reply #3
i've turned the wheel all around and done everything i could think of to get the key to turn, it simply won't.  i have the collar off of the steering wheel and there's a small release button that you have to use a tiny screw driver to push to pull out the cylinder, but it won't release the cylinder unless it's in the RUN position, which I can't get it turned to.

Key won't turn

Reply #4
it is an original key, but the backup, which is far less warn won't turn it either.

Key won't turn

Reply #5
I had this happen with another car recently.  New key too boot.  I turned the key to the on position, depressed the brake,  shifted out of park to reverse and then back into park FIRMLY.  Problem solved.

I still can't figure out why it happened as it appeared to be fully in park the firs time...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Key won't turn

Reply #6
the main problem, though, was that I could not turn the key to the ON position...  but I got it figured out this morning.  apparently the alarm/safety wire bracket had broken off and the leads weren't touching, keeping me from being able to turn the cylinder.  unhooked the wire, it was able to turn.  but now i have 3 keys for my car instead of just two...