Skip to main content
Topic: Hello everyone new guy here. (Read 2407 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello everyone new guy here.

Hey. just bought myself a 1987 Merc. cougar. 5.0L automatic. runs like a raped ape. can't stop on a dime yet more like an airport runway lol.
List of things that need fixin:
turn signals don't work.. fronts come on and stay on rears nothing
brakes as stated go almost to floor.. will be doing complete brake overhaul. no sense going fast if you can't stop know what i mean.
minor surface rust outside... i'm sure there alot in trunk.
head liner
gauges don't light up. i can see the gauges work.. just real dim....
door locks lock but don't unlock.
windows go up but come off track when going down. need doudble sided sticky tape to hold onto plastic track pieces.
ohh and a short somewhere that drains battery after a day or two.
other than that. not a bad find for $550. the drive train alone is worth that.:burnout:

Reply #1
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like a great running car you got. I just wish mine was laready in good enough shape to run that good.

Yours will be easy to restore. Don't sweat the little stuff! All of it can be fixed and we can all try to help you trouble shoot if needed. I tend to be good with the electrical stuff.

Reply #2
Welcome..... Sounds like you're having fun already. Any questions on the above repairs... Just ask
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
I am on my phone so bear with briefness. Welcome! For the gauges check that the dimme switch is turned all the way up until it clicks then just enough back down to turn off th interior lighting that came on when it clicked when you turned it up. If that doesn't make the gauges brighter then that switch may be bad. Rock auto has the part or at least that is where I got mine when it went bad. That going bad can also cause other funky things to happen with the cars lighting. I hope that is at least an idea to help you.

Enjoy your cougar :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #4
Welcome!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #5
As already stated...WELCOME !! Of course,you'll need to know one of the more important rules....we need pics.It doesn't matter if the car is shiny,ugly,whatever....pics are needed of the car,and any progress done to the car.

Again,welcome,and good luck with the Cougar.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
thanks for the welcomes. I just got it yesterday so I don't have pics yet. trying to get my garden in..lol... alot at once. As for the switch. i did turn it all the way up and the interior light came on then backed it off and still nothing.. i even rolled it back and forth and got no change. I did notice some of the bulb holders in the ash tray so maybe the previous owner did somehting behind there. I will be getting a chiltons book soon and start from there. I used to be a mechanic for 8 1/2 years. Love working on cars hated working on cheap broke peoples cars. lol
I am now a fabricator/ pipefitter for a living. I have access to mills and lathes and welders so if I nee a custom part I may be able to make it. and if you guys and gals like it maybe I can make 2 or 3. lol...
I will get pics up as soon as I can. thanks again

Reply #7
heya, welcome to the flock!

Could be the dimmer control...sometimes the contacts can get dirty or corroded, or could be something a little more involved.
Good luck, and pics ASAP lol ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
ok went out tonight to play with lights. dimmer is working fine. lights in back of diplay go bright then go dim with rolling of switch. Maybe circuit ribbon? i can see display is working when I shine a light on it. I can see that when i push the buttons for the display to change gauges it is working, although just filled up with gas and it's not reading right i think. also i have one just one light bulb that is missing withthe connector. Also turn signals are not working in rear. they light up with lights on but turn signals in front will come on and stay on but not flicker.. rears don't come on at all.

Reply #9
thunder... man i almost smacked my puter screen... darn bug...lol

Reply #10
You may have some burned out bulbs behind the cluster, and on certain circuits if one or a few bulbs go out, they will all go out. I messed with the same issue you were having a while back, (it wasn't with the fully digital cluster, just the digital speedo cluster) and it took a while for me (with tons of help from here) to figure it out. Check this thread out.... http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=26898

Hope it helps, and welcome to the site!
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #11
Quote from: bigdaddygb;323687
thunder... man i almost smacked my puter screen... darn bug...lol

HAHAHAHA Yeah ive done that before.

Reply #12
sorry, lol ;):rollin:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
Welcome!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver