Skip to main content
Topic: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement (Read 2148 times) previous topic - next topic

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

ugh..

Grr...

Not looking good there at all..

I REALLY need to rebuild or replace this engine soon. =\ Hope she can make it through the summer. :punchballs:

Just when I thought she was okay for a while too. Any thoughts/suggestions? :shakehead
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #1
Looks like leaky valve cover gasket.  Thats pretty darn easy to fix.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #2
Quote from: 88CougarGT;323402
Looks like leaky valve cover gasket.  Thats pretty darn easy to fix.

Yeah, that gasket is definitely bad. I'm not too worried about replacing that part but its that milky colour that worries me. I was afraid it might be something more serious going on in there.

I'm no mechanic btw  I just fix things with lots of instructions and advice, and some trial an error often. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #3
That milky oil is not leaking out of the valve cover...that's just oil and water mixing on the surface of the intake.  Unless your dipstick or the inside of your oil cap is covered in the stuff, it's nothing.

Go to the Ford dealer and get:

-F57Z-6584-A  - Ranger v/c gasket
-EV127A  - turbo-specific PCV valve (Take it out of the box, try and blow through the small end.  If you can, hand it back to them and have them get you another)

Don't get any other v/c gasket for a 2.3... period.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;323406
That milky oil is not leaking out of the valve cover...that's just oil and water mixing on the surface of the intake.  Unless your dipstick or the inside of your oil cap is covered in the stuff, it's nothing.

-EV127A  - turbo-specific PCV valve (Take it out of the box, try and blow through the small end.  If you can, hand it back to them and have them get you another)

why the ranger V/C gasket? is it a thicker gasket? or a different meterial?

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;323406

Whew, good. Oil cap is nice and normal looking inside, just good coloured oil. I must have had pooled up water in that spot from where I washed it. Gotta love a good panic attack to wake you up in the morning. :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely following it. :bowdown:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #6
Quote from: boosted_chicken;323407
why the ranger V/C gasket? is it a thicker gasket? or a different meterial?

Because it is the best one available.

Rubber-coated, steel core, infinitely reusable.  You could even pull one from an engine in the junkyard and use it trouble-free.  Mine has been used on 2 engines, and been off and on 6-8 times at least.  No leaks.

The Fel-Pro ones are , and don't even get me started on the cork ones.

Reply #7
Quote from: Chuck W;323411
Because it is the best one available.

Rubber-coated, steel core, infinitely reusable.  You could even pull one from an engine in the junkyard and use it trouble-free.  Mine has been used on 2 engines, and been off and on 6-8 times at least.  No leaks.

The Fel-Pro ones are , and don't even get me started on the cork ones.

Nice. :) I'm gonna knock this out ASAP. I just got my VA check and I'm gonna head over there right now. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #8
Parts ordered at the dealership. None were in stock but I'll have them by Tuesday. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #9
are you going to HO or staying original? Because When my engine gets dropped i will sell it really cheap. holds good oil pressure and all, no leaks. oh and the HO intake manifold and original cam,crank, everything will be up for grabs, im buying all new stuff.

Reply #10
Quote from: Whiteboy;323483
are you going to HO or staying original? Because When my engine gets dropped i will sell it really cheap. holds good oil pressure and all, no leaks. oh and the HO intake manifold and original cam,crank, everything will be up for grabs, im buying all new stuff.

Hey,

If I go 5.0 I'll be looking for an HO engine for it. Are you talking about selling an HO engine or a regular Tbird 5.0?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #11
Going 5.0 HO. In the meantime, picked up my parts for this yesterday and am going to start on it in a few minutes when I wake up more. Weather is not going to be nice to me this week so I might skip a lot of the polishing I was going to do and just try and get it done today rather than paint the valve cover and stuff. We'll see, all depends on how quickly I can progress on this since I've never done it before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #12
Go slow while tightening down the v/c, esp over the front tower.  That is the only tricky part with the Ford v/c gasket.  You just want to make sure it stays where it's supposed to as the bolts are snugged down.

Also, did you check your PCV valve you picked up.  You should NOT be able to blow through the small end.

Reply #13
Quote from: Chuck W;324004
Go slow while tightening down the v/c, esp over the front tower.  That is the only tricky part with the Ford v/c gasket.  You just want to make sure it stays where it's supposed to as the bolts are snugged down.

Also, did you check your PCV valve you picked up.  You should NOT be able to blow through the small end.

Thanks, Chuck! Yeah I checked the valve, trying to blow through the small end of it is futile. :D They gave me the right one.

*goes to start*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #14
All apart now. Cleaned and ready to put the new gasket on. I took pics of my cam while I was at it to show the wear I was talking about. It's actually not too bad for that many miles on it but it is no doubt worn and making my car kinda weak (among other things). At least she runs though. :) Engine itself has been good to me in this car. It's just everything around it that hasn't. :rollin:

Gonna touch up the valve cover while I've got it off. Sand the shiny parts to make then shine again, touch up the black paint a bit, and clear enamel on it all. Going to sand off some surface rust in a few ugly spots while I can get to things easier too. Due to that I might or might not get to putting it back on today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt