Skip to main content
Topic: New to the site...have a Fox...but it's a Mustang! (Read 1719 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the site...have a Fox...but it's a Mustang!

What's up guys?

I know, I know...why join a T-Bird/Cougar Forum when I have a Mustang?  Well...considering the 1986 Mustang LX I just picked up has a 3.8 CFI...I'm having a hard time finding any info on it?  It seems like there's alot of early 3.8 resources and info here for me.  The other Mustang sites are either geared for the V-8 crowd or the SN-95 and up V-6's?

My plan is a V-8 engine swap in the future when I have more cash.  But for right now...I just want to make her run to her full potential.

Wouldn't mind any info on tweaks or mods that would work well with my combo...I have the 86' 3.8 CFI with an automatic and 2.73:1 non-locking rear.

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Reply #1
Welcome aboard Dave :D

Dan & Paula ;)

Reply #2
Welcome to the forum Dave !

I have had to deal with the CFI on 2 of my 4-eye T-Birds.
It was a great system in its time, but there is very few (if any) mods you can do to get more power. It had the EEC-III computer and it does not allow any tweeks.

A switch to EEC-IV computer system (86-93)would then allow you to adjust for more power and still be emmissions legal. ;)

Good luck with your project and post up some pics ! :D
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #3
Welcome! I'm very partial to white '86s. :D I love Mustangs just as well. :) If you really wanted to be different you could try swapping in an 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears and the 2.3 T engine. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #4
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;323121

It was a great system in its time, but there is very few (if any) mods you can do to get more power. It had the EEC-III computer and it does not allow any tweeks.

A switch to EEC-IV computer system (86-93)would then allow you to adjust for more power and still be emmissions legal. ;)

Only the 83's had the EEC3.  The 84-86 CFI cars had the EEC4.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
welcome and :ttiwwp:
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #6
Quote from: mercury-man;323117
Welcome aboard Dave :D

Dan & Paula ;)

Thank you!

Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;323121

I have a 86...doesn't that have the EEC-IV?

Quote from: fluke;323134
Welcome! I'm very partial to white '86s. :D I love Mustangs just as well. :) If you really wanted to be different you could try swapping in an 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears and the 2.3 T engine. :)

SVO/Turbo Coupe 2.3 w/ 3.73's would be nice and as you said...different.  :)

Quote from: Chuck W;323136
Only the 83's had the EEC3.  The 84-86 CFI cars had the EEC4.

Cool...so a little exhaust un-corking won't hurt how it runs?

Quote from: Cougar8775;323141
welcome and :ttiwwp:

Only have a couple of pictures.  What's the best way to post them on this site anyways?

I'm almost done with the interior and just started rippin' apart the suspension to remove all the mushy rubber bushings.  The car is fairly clean except a "sad" quicky paint job the previous owner threw on.  It was owned by an old lady for about 25 years and then the guy who got it from her...flipped it to me.

No options on this pup(except an auto)...no A/C, no pwr equip...no center console.  It's a super light notch-back(2688 lbs?)...would make a great drag car if properly equipped.

Thanks for the nice welcome...you'll be seeing alot of me as I fix her up.

:D

Later...Dave

Reply #7
Quote from: sct2003;323145

Only have a couple of pictures.  What's the best way to post them on this site anyways?

No options on this pup(except an auto)

You can use the manage attachments button or upload them to photobucket.com and post the IMG links.

The auto wasn't an option either, it was mandatory with the 3.8.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #8
A Fox is a Fox and all Foxes are welcome!

Reply #9
Quote from: 5.0 bird;323149
You can use the manage attachments button or upload them to photobucket.com and post the IMG links.

The auto wasn't an option either, it was mandatory with the 3.8.

Cool...even better...my car was optionless from the factory!!!  Oh yeah...it does have one of those non-factory sunroofs...which I despise btw.

:D

Later...Dave

Reply #10
Quote from: Watchdevil;323150
A Fox is a Fox and all Foxes are welcome!

This is Fox #6 for me and my last Mustang was an 03' Cobra that made 466/479 to the wheels.

My daily drivers are a 2005 Focus and 2004 Sport Trac...I guess I'm a Ford man at heart?  But since I've owned everything from big block Pontiac's to Turbocharged Mitsubishi's...I guess you can call me a car guy first and formost.

;)

Later...Dave

Reply #11
Welcome aboard......We're also facebook friendly now.. the more foxes the better.;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
Quote from: daminc;323187
Welcome aboard......We're also facebook friendly now.. the more foxes the better.;)

Cool...I'll check it out!

Quote from: 88turbo;323208
Welcome Cough mustang guy Cough  j/k enjoy your stay :D

:rollin:

Thanks guys!!!

Later...Dave

Reply #14
Welcome aboard...always room for another Fox lover lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6