Skip to main content
Topic: Found my next project!! (Read 1306 times) previous topic - next topic

Found my next project!!

I'm going to put the motor trans and rear (if the width is ok and I can find perches) from my recently murdered cougar.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Found my next project!!

Reply #1
Cool!!!! my cousin just bought a 351 4spd maverick
 they make great hot rods
Fox-less at the moment

Found my next project!!

Reply #2
1st car I ever rode in. Dad drove me home from the hospital in it. It was black, 302 with a 4 speed.
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Found my next project!!

Reply #3
Ah! I love those! Nice find and good luck with the build! It will hopefully let part of your Cougar live on. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Found my next project!!

Reply #4
Sweet, enjoy!

Found my next project!!

Reply #5
Oh WOW! Great find! This car has so much potential! It can certainly be made into the ultimate Maverick... I have so many ideas of what I could do to one!

However, the first thing I would do is get rid of the front and rear chrome railroad ties and lighten up the look with the pre-73 bumpers and lower pans!

I totally forgot that my Uncle had an early 70's Comet with a 6-cyl and 3-spd. He eventually traded it for a 1977 Granada with the same drivetrain. Anyway, all these cars rest on rebodied Falcon platforms which the Mustangs were also based, so anything that can be done to those Mustangs can be done to this. A real Mustang spiritually lived on as a Maverick after 1974 despite the Pinto based Mustang II, As time goes by I have more appreciation for those Maverick coupes. Did you all know that the original Maverick was originally considered as a complete replacement for the Mustang?

Found my next project!!

Reply #6
Cool find! Just an FYI, the Maverick axle is actually narrower than a FOX axle. A buddy of mine has a 71 Grabber (among other Mav's at his place) and we considered swapping in a 8.8 Disk axle I have here.....no go...its too wide. As said before, lose the safety bumpers and they make awesome looking rides!!! During your search for them, look for 72 and older parts as 73's had a one year specific mid-size front bumper and the 69-72 rear bumper. As a side note, look online at the Brazillian Mavericks as Ford built them all the way, unchanged from the 69-72 style, up to 1978 since Brazil didn't require the bumper changes. They have some REALLY cool ones down there and have some Brazilian specific parts. They are essentially Brazil's version of the USA's Mustang as far as a popularity and performance. Also, you may want to check out this site:http://mmb.maverick.to/index.php as they have alot of helpful and friendly Maverick and Comet owners there!!

Keep us posted on it's progress!!!

Later, RAY
My toys:
Two 84 Turbo Coupes-twins
Two 86 Mercury Capri's-one's stock, one's NOT
93 Mustang LX 5.0-3,980 miles, 100% factory
55 Ford Customline-I6 powerhouse, waiting on a plan
95 F350 Dually-KILLER, don't ask why
94 Bronco XLT-going to be a lowered 2 wheel drive

Found my next project!!

Reply #7
What the hell is the story on that thing....looks  clean and rust-free. Wow.....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Found my next project!!

Reply #8
NICE FIND....picnic table bumpers have to go. As you may know, I'm partial to the comet/maverick myself :D  You may find the following site useful.
  http://www.maverick.to/
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Found my next project!!

Reply #9
There are a few classic FoMoCo taillamps that will look great on that car and require very little modification to make them fit. You got Mercury Bobcat taillamps, Mercury Comet two pod taillamps, Mercury Montego three pod taillamps and even 1968-69 Shelby taillamps that look sharp on these cars.

Found my next project!!

Reply #10
We've got a 73 mav with a 347 in it. Beautiful car. My first car was a 76 mav, first thing i did was change out the bumpers for the smaller ones on my parts car.
1988 Thunderbird LX - road-worthy, not show-worthy
1973 Maverick
1992 F 150

Found my next project!!

Reply #11
you should aspire to Sleeper T-Bird 87's Maverick, that car is radical and fast.....just added a turbo charger also...... Nice score, best of luck!
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=24932

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Found my next project!!

Reply #12
clean car
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication