Skip to main content
Topic: Did brake job, now rear squeak (Read 1676 times) previous topic - next topic

Did brake job, now rear squeak

Hey everyone, help me please!

I put new pads and rotors on my 88 Cougar (turbo coupe rear discs) and now I hear a mild "squeak" at low speed.  Almost sounds like bearings, for what its worth. Kick the rear tires and you can reproduce the squeak.  I checked the lugnuts and they were loose (!!!) but retorquing them didn't help at all. 

Everything works fine, but where should I start with the frickin noise?  That whole axle assembly is pretty new from the conversion, I dont know what I screwed up! :(

Helllllp!!!!!  :disappoin
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Re: Did brake job, now rear squeak

Reply #1
did you make sure to regrease the slider pins? also, did you make sure to tighten the bracket bolts?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
, I didn't regrease the slider pins. I don't remember seeing anything like that in the back calipers though...well I'll get back in there and do it! :rolleyes:
pro-five-oh

Reply #3
Jeeves, there are lots of answers to your question. :)
If the anti-rattle clips aren't put back in just the right way, squeaks.
If any of what Shawn said is happening, squeaks.
If the noise is only on the driver's side, I've got the answer.

For some reason, the driver's side parking brake cable is way tighter than the passenger side one. I don't know if you're using any kind of cable restraint to pull it away from the tire, but if you pull too hard on the cable, that rear caliper actually starts to grab the rotor. When you drive you get a squeak because the pad is constantly touching the rotor. It is an annoying situation, not to mention noise. I just went through this last night on my own car. After 2 miles of driving, my rear rotor was smoking big time. I've got some zip ties holding the cable away until I can come up with a better permanent solution for the new control arms.

Did you remember to turn in the piston on the caliper all the way? If not, the pad is definitely sing the rotor somewhere, and there's your squeak.

Reply #4
LOL, this car is driving me nuts.  First I have to explain to the parts guy that I need brake stuff from 3 different cars, none of which are Cougars, and then this! :)

Eric, it makes the noise on both sides, so I just need to get back in there and see what is going on. I am 99% sure the piston is turned all the way, though it was a bear to turn!
pro-five-oh

Reply #5
Yeah, those suck big time. You know, honestly, the TC rear is about the noisiest I've ever heard in my life. I can just go up to the car (not running), push in the tire with my knee, and hear a groaning noise from the rear end. Absolutely everything has been replaced: brakes, suspension, axle shafts, bearings, fluid, etc. It's always made noise and I assume it always will. Meh, my dad's 1977 Corvette does the same thing and it has rear discs. Guess that's the price you pay for clampers at all four corners. ;)

Reply #6
I'm gonna listen for it again in the parking garage...it almost seems like its gone!  Sheeesh...maybe the brakes realigned themselves. I don't get it. :)

I guess I can put the centercaps back on and finally clean the wheels.
pro-five-oh