Skip to main content
Topic: water leak help. (Read 694 times) previous topic - next topic

water leak help.

So i was just putting the final touches on the ole tbird and got a problem. I filled up the radiator and noticed i have water sittin on the top of the timing cover. i see theres two holes where the water is coming from. are there suppose to be bolts there or some sort of plugs? in the first pic its the two holes that are across from one another. the little holes are what im talkin about. Thanks in advance. rob.

water leak help.

Reply #1
Some pumps there are bolts there, others not .
It depends on what your set up is,  it should not leak there either way though
Fox-less at the moment

water leak help.

Reply #2
You're using a gasket there right? It should not leak if all the bolts are tight and the gasket is in place. Those holes should have bolts in them.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

water leak help.

Reply #3
Typically the inside threads arent used, and most water pumps dont have the holes for those anyways. If you're seeing water on top of the timing cover, it's most likely from the thermostat housing.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

water leak help.

Reply #4
Or the timing chain gasket is not seating. I had to replace my timing chain cover gasket, it was leaking right underneath the distibutor and creating a puddle. It only puddled up while you were giving it gas.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

water leak help.

Reply #5
Im using silicon gasket on the waterpump, maybe it didnt hold. Im gunna tear it back apart and retry. There wasn't any threads there for a bolt. Would it hurt anything if i put some silicon in them two holes?

water leak help.

Reply #6
Most of the bolts go straight through to the engine block. Stock 255 v-8?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

water leak help.

Reply #7
no its a 302, and those dont have threads nor is there any holes on the block.