Skip to main content
Topic: Solved! How to delete your smog pump on an 88 V6 car (Read 9412 times) previous topic - next topic

Solved! How to delete your smog pump on an 88 V6 car

Reply #15
Quote from: jcassity;321544

when the engine heats up , which hose gets warm first?

:D

...because I make a habit out of holding onto my radiator hoses as they heat up?

:p

Thx, I like that. One thing I noticed about my pump when I took it off, twice, is that I could not get one of the bolts out of it. It almost seemed like it was designed to stay in it. I'm pretty sure the 88 is different type of pump than the 87< so I don't know if you had the same problem. If I cant get it out, then I cant use the replacement kit, course I can probably just find a replacement bolt at AZ though...

btw, for those of you who were freeeeaking out about me running my hoses backwards, here it is currently.
Until I get aforementioned kit anyway.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #16
I took the one off my 86 years ago because the bearings were going out.  I can't remember how I routed the belt, but I do remember getting a smaller one.  I used a large metal plug and hose clamp to close the exahust tube, and another metal plug that went into the entake side.  On the 86, it injected air (I assume) into the back part of the intake.  I would just get the idler pulley like blackcougar71 suggested.

Reply #17
You don`t want exhaust going into the air pump. That`s what the check valves are for. Exhaust is going to burn up the pump and might leave you stranded. The post before mine is best. Just leave the hoses off.

Reply #18
Quote from: sarjxxx;321741

btw, for those of you who were freeeeaking out about me running my hoses backwards, here it is currently.
Until I get aforementioned kit anyway.

I have to quote myself now? It feeds itself. Quieter, and very little resistance. Only a temporary fix.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #20
Hmmm...don't know. That would require taking it apart, and that would be less than smart for me to do I believe.

The whole idea in getting it gone though, was more for just gettting that big ugly pump out of my engine than for the power gain, as the way I currently have it routed into itself is as good as anything else.

However, I think I might just be putting THIS in there instead!!!
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #21
Quote from: Pegleg88;328681
If that is a rotary vane pump, can't you remove the vanes from the impeller? That would be cheaper than buying the pump eliminator.

Years ago this is what I did:

1. remove access plate
2. Find large hammer and screwdriver
3. apply surgical force to impeller blades
4. reassemble your free smog eliminator

Worked perfectly fine.

Reply #22
Quote from: sarjxxx;321741
...because I make a habit out of holding onto my radiator hoses as they heat up?

:p

umm,, that was actually a legitimate questoin.  Your the one who said to hold on to them "as" they heat up.

I was simply pointing you to the direction of your answer so you knew which direction it flowed. 

you must've thought i was being sarcasitic, which i wasnt.

Reply #23
Your waterpump is spinning the wrong way.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #24
Quote from: jcassity;329624
you must've thought i was being sarcasitic, which i wasnt.

umm...yes I did. :sorry:

Quote from: Haystack;329628
Your waterpump is spinning the wrong way.
Quote from: sarjxxx;319094
Realized, I was running my water pump BACKWARDS.
...pretty sure that was the point of this thread:D...
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #25
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Here's a seriously oversimplified step by step for what you gotta do to get rid of your smog pump on an 88 3.8L:

1. First thing you need to do, before you even release tension on your stock belt, is to go over to the smog pump itself. Grab your self a 10mm socket and loosen up the bolts holding the pulley on the pump. Don't take them off yet, just loosen em up.

2. Take off the existing belt. Now take the pulley off the pump. Its as easy as it looks. Just take out the three bolts and pull the pulley right off. Now go ahead and take off the air hoses attached to it. If you're still using the stock air filter, you'll need to find something to plug up the hole in the airbox or your intake will suck air in through it instead of through the filter. You also need to plug up the pipe coming up from the exhaust downpipe that the airpump feeds. The easiest quickest way is to use a bolt about the same diameter as the rubber hose and stick it in there at some point and clamp it off with a hose clamp. This of course is just a temp fix until you can get the pipe removed and plugged from under the car where it meets the exhaust.

3. Go ahead and take off the pump. This consists of two 1/2" bolts, one top and one bottom. A good 10" extension comes in handy here too.

4. Now you have to get your tensioner pulley off. The bolt that holds it on is a super tight 15mm bolt, and it is a bitch to get loose. The 15mm socket will probably have to be hammered onto the bolt but trust me, DO NOT use any other size, or you WILL strip the head right off and you'll never get that bolt loose. You probably will need a breaker bar to get that bolt loose too, but it will come out.

5. Now that you have the tensioner arm off, you need to make it reverse its tension. All you gotta do is take a screwdriver and pry up the little cover plate that stops the tensioner arm from traveling too far. Pry up the tab far enough to get it to slide over the edge of the tension arm. Let it rotate all the way till all the the tension is gone and you've got a little slack.
Then work your way around the edges of the plate and try to get it to pop up off of the little square in the center that's holding it on.
Then take the plate and put it back on where the spring is untensioned. You'll probably have to rotate it just a little bit to get it to pop on. Then take a screwdriver and hammer and pop the plate back on around the edges of the square.

6. Now you need to drill a new hole in your bracket so that the tensioner will sit in the right place. Below is a pic of about where it should be. You need to put the tensioner back on the bracket and tighten it down just to where you can still rotate the whole thing but not so loose that it wiggles a lot. You need to rotate the arm back and forth so you can use the pin on the back to mark on your bracket where you need to drill the hole. Your hole should be 5/16" but I used a 3/8" and it worked fine. It needs to be pretty much exactly where I put it in my pic or you might not get it tight enough later, or you might not be able to get enough slack out of it to get the belt back on. Go ahead and drill the hole pretty deep but don go all the way through the bracket. Now go ahead and check to make sure the hole is deep enough and you can tighten the bolt all the way down.

7. Now you need to go out and get a 56" 6 rib serpentine belt. If its too small make sure they gave you a 56" belt. I've gotten two of these and the guys at the parts store gave me the wrong one the first time both times.

8. Now you can go a head and put the belt on and turn the car on and make sure everything's good and doesn't slip off or anything.

9. Enjoy your engine bay without that big ass ugly hunk of uselessness.

[edit]10. It is not neccessary, but highly reccomended that you also swap out the stock tensioner pulley for a ribbed pulley. You can get one from any 89-98 3.8 ford (Cougar, Tbird, Mustang...). Keep in mind that the bolt that holds it to your car is a normal thread, but the bolt that holds it to the donor car is reverse threaded. Make sure you keep the washer from the donor car, but you don't need the bolt. When you take off your pulley ditch the stock washer and put the donor washer and pulley on your bolt. Tighten it to finger tight and reinstall the belt. Turn on the car. Now the next part is a little tricky. What you want to do is tighten the bolt with a socket very slowly, until its very tight. The reason you cant do this right away is because of all those little blades on the new pulley. The old one of course was flat, and the tensioner arm was designed for that. But there is a little ring around the outside edge of where it bolts down that will hold your pulley against it and not allow it to turn if its tight already. So what you want to do is slowly tighten down the pulley while its running, so that it grinds out a little groove into those blades and then its free to go. Don't worry, its just a tiny little groove, it won't hurt anything. Then you're done.[/edit]

Here's the new hole you have to drill. Notice the slightly lighter arc around it where I marked it using the peg.

Here's about what your new belt route will look like:

And here's about what it will look like in the car. Note that my AC compressor and the whole bracket have also been removed.

GL friends:D
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #26
Looks good! I was going to say (but it was already said) to remove the vanes on the smog pump impeller. I did that on my Bronco and it worked great. This way saves you quite a few pounds and simplifies that look considerably. Now you need to put a manual rack in there and lose the power steering pump. Just a thought....
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #27
nah, thought about it but I like my P/S too much. its gonna be a street car not a strip car so I wanna keep it.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #28
I hear ya. Keep in mind that a manual rack is nothing like a power rack without the pump. The only time it would be challenging to turn would be when parking. Even then it's not that hard. You've given me something to do when it warms up here.....
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #29
of course, now I am going to have to figure out what to do with all that extra room on the left side where I got rid of that bracket.....
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L