Skip to main content
Topic: AOD exhaust mod (Read 1281 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD exhaust mod

For the guys that put in offroad H or X pipes, I heard the the shift lever that is on the side of the trans coms in contact with the h or x pipe. What mods have you done to correct the problem? I have the trans on my bench at work and was thinking of cuting a piece out of the lever where it is horozontal and then reweld it back on. That way it moves the lever cable attatchment in towards the trans pan a bit. Could move it in a 1/4 inch.

Any ideas?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #1
I think most people just dimple the pipe.

I have a column shifter and the H-pipe and headers I used fit around the shift linkage perfectly. That's the one advantage to the column shifter ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #2
Ok. I think it was vinnie that said he had to bend the bracket. I guess I will just see what happands
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #3
I have a MAC prochamber on my car with column shift and it fits OK.  I didn't have to dimple the pipe or move the bracket, although I will say it's very close.  Luckily I have new motor mounts, that keep my engine sitting high for extra clearance.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #4
Mine had clearance issues with the O2 sensor; not the H-pipe itself.  I closed off the bung on that side and welded in a new one  in a different spot.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #5
I have the floor shifter on my car and I did what Thunderjet said.  Just a little dimple in the pipe fixes the clearance issue and is the easiest solution, IMO.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #6
Mine is floor shift. I should have mentioned that. Sorry.

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #7
i have bbk shortys and a flowtech off road hpipe and my linkage hits rithe on the collector so im gna try to extend the linkage and get it to work this week sometime, il take pics if everything works lol
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

AOD exhaust mod

Reply #8
Excellent. Thanks bossbird