Skip to main content
Topic: Failed Smog, high HC readings, help (Read 2131 times) previous topic - next topic

Failed Smog, high HC readings, help

im running 267 HC, 0.08% CO, and 430 NO at 15mph.  174 HC, 0.03% CO and 540 NO at 25mph.  Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor all good, both cat converters replaced 3 years ago.  Help! how do i lower the HC?

Re: Failed Smog, high HC readings, help

Reply #1
Is there any way to get a waiver? Reason I ask is because I've replaced about everything on my car emissions wise(before I got the h-pipe) and always had high HC readings. The car just barely passed with the previous owner but I've had no luck. I need to go within the next two weeks but I'm already prepared to fail the test. I'll have a heartattack if it does pass. The waiver gives you basically a "get out of jail free" card that lets you go until the next test. I couldn't figure out how to get the HC's lowered so I gave up. Thing is in Maryland, you have to do $500 dollars or so worth of emissions work to obtain the waiver.

Reply #2
Disconnect your pcv valve from the rear of the intake and remove the brass filter from the base of the lower intake,it's probably clogged(not many people know this filter exists).I do emmison tests,and when my last 5.0l failed 2 years ago i removed the clogged filter and disconnected my pcv just to be on the safe side and it passed with flying colors.

Reply #3
why get it tested..i dont get it?

Reply #4
State laws.

Reply #5
some states require smog testing?..wow i didnt know that... how often do they ask you to do it?

Reply #6
every time that you take the car in. Here you are required car insurance, and your car will not pass unless your power sterring works. you also can buy smokes until you are 19, and beer is only 3.2%
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack
you also can buy smokes until you are 19

Then they cut you off?  :giggle:

Emissions testing must suck.  I'm sure that none of the cars I've EVER owned would have passed.  I'm basing some career decisions on whether or not where I move has emissions testing, I love my smog pumping machine just the way it is.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #8
and what magical land do you live in? where ever it is, ill move their to avoid haveing to "convince" somebody to pass my car...

Quote from: Pr0jeCt
some states require smog testing?..wow i didnt know that... how often do they ask you to do it?

Reply #9
had to do the emmission thing twice a year when i lived in PA had to do it when i moved to FL but they have since rescinded.
Same litany as always wehn dealing with this, check ALL vaspoogen lines. check all sensors, new filters, try new plugs. Have had a decent running car with good plugs fail inspection then change plugs and pass. even though the car didn't seem to run and different. Also high HC readings at the tailpipe means that the HC's are going through the cat.....which can clog if run that way too long.This can lead to porr performance or waiting for tow truck.
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #10
Quote from: Manson
and what magical land do you live in? where ever it is, ill move their to avoid haveing to "convince" somebody to pass my car...

So you're moving to Florida soon?

Reply #11
i plan on moving eventualy, hopefully to va or georgia, then i can pop in and bother ya'll for beer LOL

Reply #12
Georgia is still something like 300 miles away from me. Long way to go for a beer. :p

Reply #13
When I had similar problems I think it turned out to be my MAP sensor.  Luckily I have sinced moved to a county that doens't do emissions testing. :evilgrin:

Reply #14
Here's another tip you can try, it's related to the PCV issue.  Change you oil RIGHT before you go to the inspection station.  Older oil contains HC'c from blowby.  Eventually the levels get high enough in the oil that the sniffer can pick them up.

Just a tip passed on from a mechanic neighbor.

Good Luck!