Skip to main content
Topic: Brakes and steering? (Read 3196 times) previous topic - next topic

Brakes and steering?

I just bought an 87 tbird sports coupe about 3 hrs ago, the brakes press down all the way to the bottom and feels like they'll just keep going but does stop, owner said new brake booster was installed a few months ago. Also feels like i am driving a sail boat the steering is extremely loose and not stable. Whats wrong? Any suggestions? Just bought this car for 100dollars so i know it'll need work.

thanks,
mike

Re: Brakes and steering?

Reply #1
Since you were able to drive it i'd say you got a helluva deal. If you pump the brakes do they firm up? i'm thinking its just air in the lines. Also jack up a front tire and wiggle the tire top to bottom and side to side looking for play in your tie rod ends/ball joints.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #2
tried pumping it alot, but that did not work. so will try that when i get some time, in the middle of finals at school, graduating senior so dont have that much time and storing it at my moms since she has a car port and its the ideal place to work on a car, unlike the middle of the streets by my apartment. Any other suggestions.

Reply #3
You need a master cyl and ball joints.
Leaking master will cause the pedal to goto the floor and the wandering steering is definetly ball joints.

Reply #4
There could be air in the lines since the brake booster was replaced recently. The master cylinder could also be the culprit. If the car was in a $100 condition, it could be a lot of things. If you don't see any obvious leaks, bleed the brakes real well.

The steering issues are mostly likely ball joints or tie-rods. The ball-joints should have wear indicators on the bottom of them. If the indicating isn't a certain distance below the rest of the ball joint (can't remember the spec), replace them. Test the tie-rods by getting under the car, grabbing one, and shaking the heck out of it. There should be absolutely zero play. If there is, replace it. It's also a good idea to replace both sides at once. Inners/outers run about $25 a piece.

Reply #5
Check the condition and adjustment of your rear brakes as well. If they're worn out and/or way out of adjustment the pedal will be very low.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
If the cups inside the master cylinder are worn (likely), the fluid will not be forced into the brake lines.  Master cylinder no doubt.  Replace it. 

Check Balljoints.  I was told put a 2X4 under a jacked up wheel and using the wood as lever, move wheel up and down--looking at the balljoint. If there is play in it, it is bad.  Otherwise, steering parts are worn--tie rods/tie rod ends.  I believe there might be a rag joint above the steering box.  This might be bad.  I defer to other forum experts on that.

Reply #7
Fox ball joints can't be checked like that,only by the wear indicators.

Reply #8
what other master cylinders would fit the tbird? is there any upgrades anyone can recommend for that ?

thanks.

Reply #9
I stand corrected dominator.

Master cylinder on our '88 Tbird was a pain to replace as I was conditioned to bench bleeding these and making an easy install.  Turns out that the '88 has a bottom port on it.  No matter how I put it on, the bottom port fluid ran out like a sieve when I went to connect it.  As a result, I had lots of air in the system thanks to that bottom opening.  These cylinders are easily purchased at a parts house. I wouldn't touch a junk yard on that. 

John R

Reply #10
Definitely check the rear brakes im assuming it has drums and make sure there arent any springs missing, also there is a good possabilty the adjuster got put in backwards (happens alot) on last brake job so instead of tighting they are loosening in reverse, they could be way out of adjustment (not engaging) and you probably really need to bleed the brakes. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. keep us posted...

Reply #11
hopefully my friend will be able to come out wit me and take a better look at me, he's worked on master cylinders and stuff before, but never ball joints, any recommendations on how to do it or tricks or anything?

Reply #12
Wheel just bought the haynes manual and some stuff, new battery, terminals, oil, filter, air filter, etc. And was reading in the book, it says most likely wheel cylinder, low master cylinder, or leak in the system, but doesn't list master cylinder as a problem, from what i talking to a few people around here if it was the master cylinder my car should not be able to stop.

I'll hopefully find out in a few hours me and my friend are gonna try and find out what exactly is wrong, also the hanyes said you can't just replace the ball joints? BUt i looked on apart catalogs and it says the have them, but haynes says you have to replace the whole control arm is that correct?

What are ways to test the ball joints and the master cylinder?

Reply #13
its a master cylinder. I had two cougars, one was $110 and the other was $400. Both need a new master cylinder. It really isnt that hard to swap out. My first time(and almost my first time working on a car) it took me 20 mins by myself. The second time it took me 5 mins. If you have the basic tools ,you will have no problems with it.(p.s. it only costed around $20 for a rebuilt one, $10 after I turned my old one in)
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
I just got through fixing my brakes, with a simular problem.  Mine turned out to be the brake hoses flexing from age and the fluid needed flushing and replacement.  Rear brakes could also be suspect, so check the linings and adjustment.  A way out quess is drums that were turned with more material taken out and they are flexing.  But my quess is if your not finding leaks, its contaminated fluid and or those old hoses.  Good luck.  Fred