Skip to main content
Topic: Half finished 5 lug conversion (Read 2509 times) previous topic - next topic

Half finished 5 lug conversion

Well I'm half done with my 5 lug conversion.
I ran into a few SNAFU's

First, My SVO balljoint adapters didn't show up (They must have used pony express)

Second, The Mark VII brakes don't fit onto the Mustang axle.
I had to keep the 95 mustang rear disk brakes and the Mark VII front disk brakes.

The reason the Mark VII brakes don't fit onto the rear is because the axle housing is closer to the axle (The rotor hits the caliper bracket).

hopefully I get this all together during the week so that I can change the motor, trans and exhaust next weekend.

FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #1
you didn't say which axles you're using, but the Lincoln stuff can be modded for fox mustang length axles.

http://home.pacbell.net/black306/tech/reardisc.html
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #2
and what are "ball joint adapters"?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #3
Nice work so far....and you look a lot shorter than I expected in your pics above.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;314102
and what are "ball joint adapters"?

the mark vii spindles that I will be using has a larger hole for the balljoint stud and mark vii ball joints have a larger body then the cougar balljoints. The good news, SVO balljoints are a direct fit. The bad news, they were discontinued like 10 years ago. Now the better news,  There are some places that you can get a coller to slide over the stock balljoints to make them fit the mark vii spindles. They are about $40.00 and they are called SVO balljoint adapter.

Reply #5
When I used MK VII brakes on my old Cougar, I just used Turbocoupe spindles, didn't need adapters. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
I did not know this. i'll be sure to stay away from MarkVII spindles then. What you pay for adapters and spindles(unless you got them for free) you can get 94-95 mustang spindles with more wheel options.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #7
finaly got the SVO balljoint adapters.

This is what they look like.

Reply #8
Yeah, kind of late now, but I picked up sn95 spindles, calipers, rotors, and good hoses for $150.

The houston Craigslist is always packed full w/ stang parts.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #9
Quote from: mtgmike;314614
Yeah, kind of late now, but I picked up sn95 spindles, calipers, rotors, and good hoses for $150.

The houston Craigslist is always packed full w/ stang parts.

Buy my 31-spline Auburn diff and FMS 3.73's then. :)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #10
finished!!

Had a bit of a SNAFU with the rear. I droped it off for a alighnment and they called me later on that day to tell me I have a bent axle.So I went to a junk yard and picked up two axles. I installed both axles only to find one was bent, so now through trial and error I found my orignal straight axle. Anyway it's done. On a side note I will never use mark spindles again.

Reply #11
Lookin' good. Don't forget your matching 5 lug spare tire.
2003 Marauder 300B
1996-97 Cobra wheel straight but weathered (For Sale)
84 TC manual shifter handle no  (For Sale)

BTW, I had a 1988 T-Bird Sport way back when. I found out that it was totalled shortly after trading it in. It still has the ignition switch recall to date.

Special thanx to EricCoolCats for showing me to this site.:bowdown: