Skip to main content
Topic: almost wrecked the coug --in my garage (Read 1469 times) previous topic - next topic

almost wrecked the coug --in my garage

finished up my new rack/pinion , bearings with a little shim between the inner race so it doesnt free spool on the spindal.  i got everything done and decided that id check for power steering leaks isnce i distrubed the lines.

so,, i start the car, cycle the wheel thru the window, look for leaks and find none.  I decide to back up a few feet so i had a clean spot under the engine.  I sit down with a leg hanging out and the door half open., yall know the move cause we have all done this at some point in time.  I throw it in reverse and all of a sudded it dawned on me that my brakes need primed cause i had to press in the calipers when i took off the rotor.

well,, i see my crash begin to happen.  the following events were about to occure......

door half open slams into the welding table.
welder falls off and smashes my knee.
car continues in reverse as i have no presure
it takes out my extra workbench and shoves it thru my wall.
glass breaks in the door
the shop broom flips over to my lap and punches thru the dash
i shiznit my pants and stink up the car as it comes to a stop.

but........ quick thinking and i salvaged my car due to pumping real hard and real fast which brought me to a stop just and i mean just in the knick of time.  I was 1/2'' from the welding table when i got done and surveyed what could have happened.

Re: almost wrecked the coug --in my garage

Reply #1
Oh man that must of sucked but it kind of a funny story sorry about that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Re: almost wrecked the coug --in my garage

Reply #2
Man, that sounds like me, but I would have continued through the garage door.

Maybe add step 2 to your procedure manual:

1) Focus 100% on repair/mod.  I do this all the time, feel no pain as I rip fingers partially off, etc.. Its a good & bad habit

2) When complete, stop and drink a beer

3) Then test to see if it works

Glad to hear it was not any worse!

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7