Skip to main content
Topic: Do I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? (Read 842 times) previous topic - next topic

Do I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

So my AOD is getting rebuilt in two weeks and I'll be driving the T-bird on a regular basis again soon. Soon after the trans is done I'm going to be swapping in a set of 24lb injectors and a 73mm C&L MAF for the 24s. I'm just wondering if I should also install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator at the same time. The stock one still holds 39 psi. I don't think I'll need it but I just want a second opinion.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
I say if the old one is fine, dont mess with it.
Mike

Reply #2
I'll just leave it alone then. I figure if the old one is fine there is no sense in replacing it. Plus the Motorcraft ones seem to last longer than the aftermarket adjustable ones.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
An adjustable pressure reg is nice(had one for years now,kirbin)and if you've already got the rail off for the price i say put it in.
It is an easy way to raise or lower the lb of injector you have(to a point)to match your combo.
Need a little more fuel(25,26,27lb injector)turn the pressure up,need a little less injector,turn it down,it's that simple.
I say put on in you won't regret it.

Reply #4
If you adjust the fuel pressure out of spec you will end up with a lean or rich condition at one end. Everything in the EEC works on a list of tables and it expects things to be in a certain range.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #5
You only need one if it runs lean at WOT, otherwise the EEC is going to adj the injector pulse by reading the A/F ratio as indicated by the O2 sensors... You can dial in a extra pound or two but, the EEC will lean the mixture back to stoich of 14:7... Still it should be richer at WOT with the extra fuel... I have an adjustable regulator but have never seen any long term gain, again due to the EEC following the O2 sensors and resetting injector delivery...

Reply #6
I swapped the injectors today and left the stock regulator on there. I'm waiting on a C&L MAF to come early next week so I can actually drive the car.

Did you know that you can get a car with a stock MAF to start and idle with 24s? It runs like ass and sounds like a pro stock car because it's incredibly rich but it will run. The only reason I started it was to check for leaks (I had re-connected the battery so I could prime the the fuel system before I re-installed the upper to check for leaks and then started it after I re connected everything). It idled well enough, even though it was pig rich, that I thought about running a cylinder balance test. I then decided that 2 minutes of run time to check for leaks was enough and I'll wait till the proper MAF gets here next week to run a KOER and cylinder balance test:hick:

Reply #7
Quote from: thunderjet302;313753
I swapped the injectors today and left the stock regulator on there. I'm waiting on a C&L MAF to come early next week so I can actually drive the car.

Did you know that you can get a car with a stock MAF to start and idle with 24s? It runs like ass and sounds like a pro stock car because it's incredibly rich but it will run. The only reason I started it was to check for leaks (I had re-connected the battery so I could prime the the fuel system before I re-installed the upper to check for leaks and then started it after I re connected everything). It idled well enough, even though it was pig rich, that I thought about running a cylinder balance test. I then decided that 2 minutes of run time to check for leaks was enough and I'll wait till the proper MAF gets here next week to run a KOER and cylinder balance test:hick:

Probably not a great idea.  Check your oil level & for fuel in the crankcase if it was running pig rich.  Fuel isnt a good lubricant.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #8
Quote from: jandmmustangs;313758
Probably not a great idea.  Check your oil level & for fuel in the crankcase if it was running pig rich.  Fuel isnt a good lubricant.

It's fine I checked it. It only ran for about 2 minutes. After about 30 seconds the  thing actually learned to idle:hick: Don't worry I'm not running it again till I get the proper MAF next week.

Reply #9
So it works fine with the C&L MAF and the stock regulator. I ran KOER codes and got a 44 and 94 (for the missing Thermactor system) and got a 9 for the cylinder balance test. I drove it and it runs and idles great.

Oh and I figured out why it was idling like a pro stocker the first time I started it. I had a busted vac line to the brake booster and that was causing my py idle. I fixed it, after I installed the C&L MAF and couldn't figure out why it idled like  still:hick:.