Skip to main content
Topic: Digital speedo 199mph mod. (Read 3944 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital speedo 199mph mod.

Reply #15
I pulled the inst. cluster out and changed the cable. I got everything buttened back up so now I can't wait until it gets nice again so I can test it out. While I was at it I moved my aftermarket tach from the steering column to the consol, I think I'm going to like it better there, plus I can see the instrument cluster better now.

Reply #16
when we did this swap on my buddies car we jacked the back end up and tested the speedo with the car sitting still.  when I did the mod I didnt use any wire, I soldered the two bumps on the backside together.

Reply #17
I think I'd be to nervous to test it like that. My luck it would fall off the jack stands or something else not good. I'll just have to be a little paitent.

Reply #18
I did mine last year and took it out on a local state hwy...didn't need too much room to test it since the speed limit is 65...most travel 70+, and I just needed to get over 85 to see it keep going...86...87...88...89...better back off! :banana:  Didn't even bother to kick it out of OD.  :D
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Reply #19
We had a pretty wet weekend so once it drys up I might take it out and see what it does. I'm hoping it works! It will be nice to see it go over the 85 mark. The speedo still won't be accurate though, I still need to change the speedo gear to a 21 tooth to see if that helps. We changed the rear to an 8.8 with 3.55 gears and changed the speedo gear to the 20 tooth one but it's still off and it makes the VSS shut it down at 90. So I still have some tweeking to do.

Reply #21
Nice! Hopefully mine will do that when I get to check it out.

Reply #22
I was able to take it out for a ride today and it works!! I was thrilled when I started out and it was working, then when I got out to the highway and it went over the 85 mark I was really excited! While I had the dash trim off I went ahead and reattached all the wires and hooked my amp and speekers back up. I had the heater core done last fall and I have alot of accessorys added to the car so there's alot of extra wires, well the guy that put it all back together didn't take it apart so he didn't know where it all went. So I was able to take care of all that as well as move my aftermarket tach from the steering colum to the consol. I like it there much better. So I'm making progress, I have a few other things planned for it this year so I'm getting there.

Reply #23
Your good to go!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #24
Thanks, I try. I'm not much of a mechanic but I can do a little. Like I said I at least try.

Reply #25
if they made the digital dash so that it would only go to 85 then why would they put the one in if the speedo would never go up to 100? just thought it was kind of funny
1988 Thunderbird LX - road-worthy, not show-worthy
1973 Maverick
1992 F 150

Reply #26
Quote from: jboatman1992;314576
if they made the digital dash so that it would only go to 85 then why would they put the one in if the speedo would never go up to 100? just thought it was kind of funny

for kilometers.

100 Km/H is 62 MPH
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #27
ahh, well now i feel stupid
1988 Thunderbird LX - road-worthy, not show-worthy
1973 Maverick
1992 F 150

Reply #28
Haha dont feel bad I thought the same thing lol. I'll def be doin this to the spare I got ;).
Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5:p
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
90 LX EL hatch = grey int. stock 5.0 auto
85 GT 1C hatch = parts car :(

Reply #29
Quote from: vinnietbird;313716
I've done it 3 times.Wicked easy.I wish I had digi gauges now and not these friggin' buttstuffog gauges.If i did,I'd do the mod again and call it a day.Use small solder,and a sharp tip on the soldering iron.The dots to solder on are tiny.

Oh what, you no like the 140 mph mod? :flip::hick:
LOL.