Skip to main content
Topic: Any Daily Drivers? (Read 3098 times) previous topic - next topic

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #30
i drive my tc everyday  and my 5.0 is for the weekends

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #31
I drive my 87 everyday, usually 100-200miles a day. My sons 83 and my XR7 and 80 are out of the elements.

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #32
I used to, but not any more.  They just aren't cut out to survive winters in the rust belt.  At least not to the point of me wanting to sacrifice another one.

The Tbird will only be driven in the dry these days, and the XR-7 will not see winter duty.  The Volvo (a car born for Scandinavian winters) will get that c.  You should see the factory undercoating slathered on that thing.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #33
Quote from: Chuck W;313678
I used to, but not any more.  They just aren't cut out to survive winters in the rust belt.  At least not to the point of me wanting to sacrifice another one.

The Tbird will only be driven in the dry these days, and the XR-7 will not see winter duty.  The Volvo (a car born for Scandinavian winters) will get that c.  You should see the factory undercoating slathered on that thing.

My car spent its life in Louisiana until 1996 or so.  After that my Dad drove it until I started driving it in around 98 or 99.  We both kept it clean, Dad had a truck so he never drove it in the salt.  I DD'd it from '99 or so until 2004 but would immediately wash it after driving in salt.  Even with all of that tedious care, the car still had some rust bubbles starting in the 1/4's before I had it repainted.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #34
My '86 TC is my daily driver. Love it...great mileage since the new engine...

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #35
I plan on DDing my car as soon as it's ready.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #36
My Cougar is a DD as along as it aint winter. The TBird got put through the winter last year but I had no other choice, now it just sits and gets used to store parts.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #37
Quote from: 50tbrd88;313711
I DD'd it from '99 or so until 2004 but would immediately wash it after driving in salt.  Even with all of that tedious care, the car still had some rust bubbles starting in the 1/4's before I had it repainted.

thats basically what i did, washed it real quick after riding in the salt .
the only spot that rusted while i had it(not much) was behind the drivers rear tire, the drain hole thingy there clogged up and it rusted quick from that.
i dread to see what it looks like now from those upstate ny winters.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

cougar

Reply #38
my 84 cougar is a daily driver....:burnout:

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #39
mine was a daily driver till' 2 weeks ago when I yanked the motor.
hopefully by the end of next week it will be back to a daily driver.
'85 tbird base 3.8 auto full power on the interior.
to do list- motor rebuild, swap in disc's for the rear and???????????:birdsmily:

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #40
Quote from: Ductape91;313740
the only spot that rusted while i had it(not much) was behind the drivers rear tire, the drain hole thingy there clogged up and it rusted quick from that.

I tried that, but winters here suck so badly... You wash it, then the next morning it is frozen solid. You can't get in it to save your life (this is with no garage of course). I drive my 83 in any sort of weather. I have the firestone snow tires on it now, and it gets around pretty good, even in deep snow.

I gave up on keeping up with the rust. My quarters are all primer, and I am such a hillbilly, I keep a can in the trunk. I see the rust showing through, rattle-rattle-squirt, gone!
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #41
CoogarXR Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductape91 

I tried that, but winters here suck so badly... You wash it, then the next morning it is frozen solid. You can't get in it to save your life (this is with no garage of course). I drive my 83 in any sort of weather. I have the firestone snow tires on it now, and it gets around pretty good, even in deep snow.

I gave up on keeping up with the rust. My quarters are all primer, and I am such a hillbilly, I keep a can in the trunk. I see the rust showing through, rattle-rattle-squirt, gone! 
x2 on the Ohio winters yes i know other states can and do have it worse than here. Washing it or freezing rain it all sucks going out and using a flamethrower just to get in the car:flame: and primer tick works great on beaters lol

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #42
daily driven for alittle over a year now. Sitting at about 166,000 miles, 137,000 or so when I bought it summer before last. Right now I am driving 150 to 200 miles a day.

by the way, I drove mine through the last two winters. I have not gotten this car stuck. I have driven in over 6" of snow on the freeway. I have gotten it sideways a couple of timeshiznitting a round about alittle fast in the rain. I have been averaging 25 to 27 MPG and have gotten near 30 if I'm good on the gas. I can drive about 500 miles on a tank. Nice till I realize I am still filling up 2 to 3 times a week.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #43
I still put about 5000 miles a year on mine.  I have the luxury of allowing it to sit in the winter if there is snow/salt/ice/muck on the roads, but It's been clean by me for about 2 weeks now.  Been driving it to work again.

Took this picture last night as a matter of fact....

I have to straighten out the license plate bracket.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Any Daily Drivers?

Reply #44
Puuuurrty kitty. ^^
...and there was light!