Skip to main content
Topic: I might be getting an 87 TC (Read 3036 times) previous topic - next topic

I might be getting an 87 TC

But I have a few questions first, It sounds like a well optioned T-bird (I havent seen it yet) but Ive never owned one so I want to know before I went ahead and gutted it. I know It has the keyless entry door pad, digital climate control & FULL power driver and passenger seats but the guy was just telling me what he could see so there could be more. Its rust free wich is what I was looking for cuz I just want it for the body and clean inside, The down sides to the car is that the header panel is chiped and cracked and it has a bad head...Id be getting the car for what I think is a bargan at $650  for a fust free car in Michigan!
I just want to make sure I wouldnt be hurting anyones feelings if I tore it apart to put my motor in. Its not a cougar like I wanted but it will work! :D

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Re: I might be getting an 87 TC

Reply #1
I think you would hurt more peoples feeling if you didnt save it! Sounds like a good deal to me.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #2
Do it man,i did.
My TC only has 80km on it and is has a rust free body and non faded interior and i dropped my 5.0 in there.
Much faster,nicer sounding ride that way.

Reply #3
Why would anyone else's feelings *really* matter, in the end?

I'm sure a few people would scoff at me wanting to put a supercharged 300 I6 in my V6 T-bird.. or bitch because I'm considering at least a bit of color-change paint on one of them (probably the '88) at some point.. but they didn't pay for my cars, they didn't sign their names on the titles, and they don't ever have to drive 'em. People can bitch until they're blue in the faces, but the bottom line is we do what we want with OUR cars.

Sure, you might get a little bit of ribbing and/or bitching from some of the TC purists.. but unless they're waving money in your face offering to buy the car from you in lieu of having it "defiled" or whatever, they have no real say in what you do or don't do to it.

I say go for it, for what it's worth. Better to have another T-bird/Cougar/Mark "in the fold", as it were.. and not ending its life as (for example) some barely-functional beater that a family puppiess off on their just-learned-to-drive 16 year old who has no respect for the car and would rather have a brand new Civic.. or, (slightly) worse, in the crusher.

Reply #4
there is a nice, str8 clean rust free tbird body on ebay for 500. the guy would probly take less. its perfect for what you are lookin to do. i doubt its anywhere near you though.
clicky
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
I own a 1984 Turbo coupe and I would like to keep them all BUT i don't have the cash or the space. Besides one less will make mine worth more in the long run. Even saying that if the car shiznits on me again with out it running for a long time screw the four banger and 351W hear we come. I bet that with twin turbo I would LEAVE YA SMALL IN MY REARVIEW! Any how do what ya gotta do or sell it to some one that maybe looking for one besides you might make some cash on the side and make finding that cougar a little easier. Just today I saw an 88 cougar for sale for $2000.00 by owner. The thing looked to be perfect from what it was white with red interior. Check over at http://www.turboford.org they always have some one lookin for a turbo coupe.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
Your  right it would hurt my feelings(If you didn't buy it)...

A '87-'88 TC is by no means rare, and surely not a sacred cow...  If you don't get it, likely it will just be parted or junked anyway..

Reply #7
:giggle:  I go to see the car tomorrow, its about an hour away. I would love to buy one of those black 88 XR7s that keep poping up but they are a little out of my price range!
 I figured Id probly get most of my money back after I sold all the good parts I dont need off the TC.  Ill need all the $$$ for the plans I have for the car this summer! :evilgrin:
I guess I just feel bad ripping out another fully loaded dash ;)

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #8
think peoples feelings would be hurt more if someone hear got it and didnt shair the parts their ripping off it.

Reply #9
Well maybe someone here is getting it but its not me! :mad:
So I called the guy about 2 min before I go to leave to make sure that he was home cuz he told us that he MIGHT be back in town monday and he tells us that someone has already put a deposit down on it and will be picking it up tuesday! It  me off cuz my BF took the day off work just so we could get there at all and the guy new we were coming! He also said the first one with the cash gets the car, if that were the case he shouldnt have taken a deposit and I would have had the money a day sooner :disappoin  people constantly disapoint me! :nono:
Well, I guess Im still looking for a car :bs:

Reply #10
Find a Sport. It's got all the TC goodies for a V8 swap, without tearing up a TC. :)