Skip to main content
Topic: id this part... (Read 1699 times) previous topic - next topic

id this part...

I can't find where this part goes or what it even is? i know when i dorve the car earlier today the temp gauge didn't work at all, and the heat wasn't that great. But the coolant level is good and full. So what is it?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

id this part...

Reply #2
its just sitting near the rad. Not hooked to anything at all just hanging out.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

id this part...

Reply #3
also what would cause the temp gauge to not work and where is the temp sender located?

Got that fox rash again!

id this part...

Reply #4
I wish i was more help on the 2.3 but until my son owns one,, im avoiding it.

my first impression was that it looks like a thermal disc type switch,,, and I almost said it must attach to the radiator somewhere as to trigger the electric fan.

ill dig into the evtm,, gut tells me its something that triggers a ground to a realy that may opperate the fan.

have you verified the fans come on?

id this part...

Reply #6
sorry, i dont see it in the basic evtm.  Im sure its in there somewhere but just looking at all the pics, couldnt find it.  I didnt know what to call it or what sub assembly or control circuit its tied to.

id this part...

Reply #7
im not sure myself but i can get the colors of wires in the am. And when i was running the car today the fans did kick in. and the temp gauge never moved when i drove it 2 miles to my inlaws.

Got that fox rash again!

id this part...

Reply #8
one of the thngs to stop the temp from not reading is an IVR issue or......

the temp sensor is wide open and will not vary in resistance as the coolant heats up.,,ie- broke dick.

ground it out to a bolt or something on the engine and see if it pegs.  if so,, its prob toast.

if it doesnt peg, the ivr is toast

speculating at this point.

you could unscrew it and lay it to the side and heat it up with a lighter in order to see a result from the dash.  if you get a result,, then its obvious coolant isnt reaching up that high on the motor or a port is clogged,,,, or the sensor itself is gumed up with so much , the sludge on it is preventing it from picking up coolant reading.  ie- someones dumped a bunch of stuff in to stop a leak and the  on the sensor is acting as an insulator.

its always a good idea to clean it off with scotch brite and install it agian to recheck.

id this part...

Reply #9
The "engine coolent temp sender" is the one for your gauge.
 Do you think that "low oil level sensor" could be your mystery sensor?
The picture looks like two wires going to it. The wiring diagram only shows one DB/LG wire to it.

id this part...

Reply #10
i saw you reply softtouch and instantly thought,, how'd he figure out what that part was:rollin:

id this part...

Reply #11
You need a better pic... that one pretty much sucks.

Also, it doesn't look like any sensor I've ever seen on a 2.3T. Wire colors and a better idea where the wires go would be helpful too. It doesn't look like a low oil sensor.

Your fans are controlled by the ECU on the 87-88TC.

The heat issue sounds like either your cooling system needs flushed, or your thermostat is stuck open, and thus not allowing the engine to heat up.

Softtouch, that pic you have is wrong.  They have the oil pressure and coolant temp sensor locations swapped. 

Cougar, perhaps your gauge sender (the one in the block) is disconnected or bad, and thus causing the gauge issue.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

id this part...

Reply #12
well the car did heat up but it got to the "m" in norm. And another issue came up. The turbo is making 2lbs of boost if i floor it. What would i have to do to check this out? and will it hurt it to run it without it making boost? And as far as the unknown part it is in like with the fan wires. The 2 wires on the unknown part are black.

Got that fox rash again!

id this part...

Reply #13
Chuck I hate to say it but your wrong.  the fans are controlled by the IRCM module on the strut tower and not the ecu on the 87 and 88 models.

id this part...

Reply #14
Quote from: 88turbo;312186
Chuck I hate to say it but your wrong.  the fans are controlled by the IRCM module on the strut tower and not the ecu on the 87 and 88 models.

The ECU controls the IRCM.  The IRCM gets in info for the fan activation from the ECU, which uses the ECT to get this info.

IRCM pin 14 is controlled by an output of the EEC. When the engine is below 190*, the EEC applies a "low" to pin 14. The low turns off Q2, allowing Q5 to turn on, causing Q6 to turn off. Conversely, when the EEC determines a need for the cooling fan, it removes the low from pin 14 which allows Q2 to turn on, Q5 shuts off, and Q6 turns on energising K4 and applying voltage to the main fan via IRCM pins 1 and 2. This circuit apparently acts as a kind of "failsafe" for the fan; if the EEC wire to IRCM pin 14 breaks or if the EEC output "opens", the main fan will run continuously.

There is no fan switch like on the 83-86 cars to control fan actuation.  It's all handled with temp inputs from the ECU through the IRCM.  The IRCM just contains all the relays and circuits for the power circuits for the fans, ECU and FP, no "controls" per se.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo