Skip to main content
Topic: Turbocharging a go-kart/riding mower (Read 1552 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbocharging a go-kart/riding mower

ive been plotting something like this for a week or two now, but havnt come up with anyreal knowledge on the subject

my friend and i were picking on my dad at one point, we came down the driveway in my friends supercoupe, and my dad rode up next to the car on the mower, and we made the "wanna race" comments, then my friend was like "dude...wouldnt it be cool to see a turbo sitting off the side of that thing, with a K&N filter on the inlet, and all that?"

so here i am, trying to find out if its possible, with an actual turbo of sorts

any found any information on it? or have any input? im not looking to nitrous, or anything, i want a working turbocharger setup
It's Gumby's fault.

Re: Turbocharging a go-kart/riding mower

Reply #1
Try looking for turbos for 2 cycle motorcycle or marine engines.
This might point you in the right direction:  http://www.turbomonster.com/boost.tpl
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
A lawnmower engine is probably about the only thing one of those electric turbochargers that we've all run into the ground would work for...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
i put a 350CC 2 stroke motor on a gocart b4,
it went like snot

Reply #4
well, theres the electric blowers, and smog pump supercharger ideas, but whats the fun in that?

actually fabbing a turbo system for one of these wouldnt be hard, the hardest part is trying to find a turbo small enough
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Plenty of potential "fun" in that.. unless you're held back by your prejudices for turbos and against superchargers.. :p

I wouldn't mind trying the smog pump supercharging thing on my lawn mower someday.. but only if I had a replacement mower handy. :evilgrin:

Hmmm.. wonder if the hydrostatic on that thing could handle more power..

Reply #6
Paul's got the idea. The only turbine's you're going to find small enough to work on a lawn mower would be found on one of the turbo motorbikes made in the 80's. And then, you may need to use the entire engine to still make enough exhaust pressure. Lawnmowers don't really push a lot of air.

Reply #7
the goal really isnt to make insane power out of one, if just a noticable gain, and a working turbo setup, just to help satisfy my turbo "fetish"
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
..which isn't satisfied by owning a Turbo Coupe..?

Reply #9
He needs it in Go-Kart size as well :giggle:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
Quote from: Bird351
..which isn't satisfied by owning a Turbo Coupe..?

I have a feeling that adds to the urge. :D