Skip to main content
Topic: lock cylinder issues (Read 1700 times) previous topic - next topic

lock cylinder issues

I just picked up a 88 tc and im having issues keeping it running. you go to start it like normal and let go of the key and it dies. I think its the lock cylinder thats giving me problems because every time i go to start it it fires right up first try. But i noticed the keys were aftermarket so im thinking the lock cylinder was replaced. Now if this was done incorrectly what problems would this cause?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

lock cylinder issues

Reply #1
Had the same problem. the cylinder was replaced on the parts bird and would do pretty much what it wanted. sometimes the fuel pump would even stay on after the car was shut off, until the key went back in and I jiggled it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

lock cylinder issues

Reply #2
sounds like the ignition switch to me.  all the lock cylinder does is unlock the column and activate the switch.

lock cylinder issues

Reply #3
The replacement cylinder in mine was kinda loose, so it probably was turning the switch on and off when it jiggled. That's as far as I investigated before i stripped it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

lock cylinder issues

Reply #4
ok well the switch is cheap and easy to change ill start there in the am. It was a loooooong snowy trip to pick her up. But  is it in really really good shape. And i found out the motor has a fresh rebuild on it from the last owner.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

lock cylinder issues

Reply #5
now where's the pics?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

lock cylinder issues

Reply #7
its too dark out now. But i will get some in the am when there is more light i promise!

Got that fox rash again!

lock cylinder issues

Reply #8
i got a question... None of the keys i have unlock the doors and trunk. The doors i can live with till i get a lock kit to get all 1 key but how do i get into my trunk without the key ans if it doesn't have the trunk poper?

Got that fox rash again!

lock cylinder issues

Reply #9
look at your evtm,, the run side of the ign switch cant be wired up correctly.

lock cylinder issues

Reply #10
yeah ill take a look at that to make sure its correct.

Got that fox rash again!

lock cylinder issues

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;311905
look at your evtm,, the run side of the ign switch cant be wired up correctly.

if something has come loose in the switch itself it would act as though something isnt wired correctly too right?

lock cylinder issues

Reply #12
yep,, its one of the probable faults.  my gut says if the switch was replaced, there are more odds the human hands has a greater chance of failing than the equipment.  thats just statistically speaking.

95% of all errors are are related to the human touch.  its evident in safety practices, assembly line audits, various repairs made to this and that, causes of fire ect ect.

my best guess and first guess would be to check the electrical connector to the ignition switch for a wire that has backed out of its plug.  this may or may not be man caused, we see wires backing out all the time.

lock cylinder issues

Reply #13
john, you still have your evtm right?

i replaced a couple pages due to blurryness up on photobucket.

lock cylinder issues

Reply #14
yeah i do i just don't know where it would be. But when i got the switch off and started to unplug it, it fell apart in my hand! and i looked at the end with the wires but i may need to get a new pigtail because the plastic was a little melted. Not baked like ive seen a few but just like it got a little too warm. But after i replaced it the car fired up and stayed running and the radio worked the trunk popper worked and the drivers window motor worked.

Got that fox rash again!