Skip to main content
Topic: Low oil level sender question... (Read 1671 times) previous topic - next topic

Low oil level sender question...

How do I disable the low oil level sender if I go with an aftermarket 7 qt. oil pan?

OR...

Should I have a bung welded in and keep the low oil level sender?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
Quote from: vinnietbird;311539
How do I disable the low oil level sender if I go with an aftermarket 7 qt. oil pan?

OR...

Should I have a bung welded in and keep the low oil level sender?

If you can find a way to keep it functional then I would do so.

However if you do not want to go to the trouble,  I'd try uplugging the sender wire first and see if the oil level light stays off. More than likely unplugged it will keep the oil level light off because the light will never get a ground. If the light stays on with the sender wire unplugged then I would just remove the bulb from the dash.

Reply #2
I need to figure out then,how to make the sender work.It can't be that hard.Drill a hole,weld in a nut to hold the sender,and call it a day.......maybe.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;311555
I need to figure out then,how to make the sender work.It can't be that hard.Drill a hole,weld in a nut to hold the sender,and call it a day.......maybe.

Should be that simple!

Reply #4
the applications are similar to both the switch and sender other than a variable resistor.

I dont really understand the purpose of the question because Low oil in a 7qt pan (ie- 1 qt low ) is similar to 1 qt low in a 5qt pan. (15% low or 20% low)

Id say translate the location of the sender to your new pan. Shouldnt need to weld with all the cool compression / gasket type plumbing fittings out there anyway ,, and in brass which would look good.

You could prob find the parts at lowes ect.  Something like a  nipple with a spin on ring where you can gasket it up on one side to prevent leaks.  this way all you gotta do is use a stepper drill bit to puch into the new pan.

the orientation is important, im guessing the location of the sender on your old pan will be best on the new since all thats different is the sumps are a lil deeper and corners are more angled to accomplish more volume.

if you want to diable it,, disable the ouput wire to the bulb from the low oil level relay in the upper right hand part of the dash...that would be the gray / black wire going to the dash,, not the branch circuit gray black leading to the ignition switch.

not knowing what your car was (engine) originally changes the above statement on wire color.

Reply #5
My car is a 5.0 car.Born and raised.I'll probably....I say probably....install the sender.I like things to work as they should.

Reply #6
You have a low oil sensor?  It goes on the pan?
I've never seen one before. I'm interested in wanting this now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
Quote from: daminc;311579
You have a low oil sensor?  It goes on the pan?
I've never seen one before. I'm interested in wanting this now.

Cars with the optional expanded warning light system generally had this installed. On 84-85 cars it was contained in the row of warning lamps above the heater controls if so equipped. On 85-88 cars, it is contained within the gauge cluster, which if the vehicle was not equipped, the place for it is still included in the cluster as a never lit section.

Reply #8
can the sensor still be bought for the pan? I'm planning on installing a full digital cluster.. Does that have it on there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Screw the sender, its a leaky piece of junk that only tells you when you've neglected your engine too much. 

I just coiled mine up and wrapped it back into the harness.  It only Lights the Light if its grounded.
-Z
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #10
I'll delete mine then....

Jerry,you can have mine when the new pan arrives....after I buy one.....when I get the money.....

Reply #11
Quote from: daminc;311582
can the sensor still be bought for the pan? I'm planning on installing a full digital cluster.. Does that have it on there?

The full digital cluster does have the low oil lamp warning.

On Coolcats.net there is a listing of the wiring pins for the two connectors and the corresponding colors...

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/general/8588digital.html

Reply #12
Quote from: vinnietbird;311590

Sometimes we are better off keeping things simple!

Reply #13
The low oil light (meaning level, not pressure) is part of the Systems Sentry panel, for cars so-equipped. "Check Oil"

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;311590

Jerry,you can have mine when the new pan arrives....after I buy one.....when I get the money.....

That's Ok, i guess I won't need one. I have nothing to connect it to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook