Skip to main content
Topic: Strut Questions. (Read 2843 times) previous topic - next topic

Strut Questions.

I know this has been beat to death, but after reading through pages of posts......

I need to know what would work best for my car:  Fox Mustang Struts, or SN95 (94-01 GT) Struts.

Front end now:

Griggs K-member
Griggs forward offset a-arms
Griggs Coilover kit with 350Lb Springs
Stock PRC Struts (leakey)

Front end in the spring:

Same k-member and a-arms
MM Caster Camber plates
Front Swaybar relocation Kit
Same coilovers on ??? Struts

The car is lowered SLIGHTLY in the front, and by slightly I mean about 1-1.5" .  I just need to know what struts would work better for my setup before ordering.  I'm planning on buying the KYB AGX struts so I can adjust them as needed.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #1
You're using stock spindles right now?

SN95 struts are shorter (less suspension travel) and the spindle mounts are different.  You will have to change something to change struts.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Strut Questions.

Reply #2
AFAIK, they are the stock spindles.  You have to remember the Griggs stuff along with the coil-overs were put on by the previous owner..... If i remember right, the sn95 spindles are so close together...... i think I wouldnt be able to tell them apart.  I have the stock PRC struts on it now, so I'm assuming that they are different. 

I didnt know that the spindles were different.....  I'm assuming the difference is in the width between the tabs (where the strut mounts)??    I know that the SN95 struts have a bit less suspention travel, but would that aspect really matter too much with the car slightly lowered?  Right now, the car doesn't have much of anything for travel.... mabey 2.5" tops.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #3
I spoke with Griggs Racing today, and they confirmed that the SN95 strut would not be a good choice.

The DID however say that the Fox Mustang Strut would be a good match for my setup.  I'm really leaning hard about the Koni DA's, but I want some more input on proper choice before spending the money.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #4
For SN95, the mounting holes are positioned differently, the spindle mounting  is a different thickness, and the ball joint is different.

If you have the stock spindles, I don't see why a stock 83-86 Bird strut wouldn't work .. if they're available.  Mustang (pre-SN95) struts will work, but they are a little different.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Strut Questions.

Reply #5
Okay......

I did some more digging and i came up with different info than you.

Maximum motorsports tells me that the SN-95 struts will work.

Griggs says they will not, but the Fox ones will work.

I looked over at NATO and they (Chuck W included)  that either will work.  I know that the spindle width narrowed in 87.  The 83-86 struts will work, but I have to use spacers to mount the struts to the 87+ spindles.  According to ChuckW, I should be able to use the SN-95 OR the Fox struts.

But then i found this link:

http://foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showpost.php?p=233706&postcount=4

According to that, It looks like the Fox Mustang Struts are VERY close to the OEM 87-88 T-bird struts.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this???
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #6
the struts i am using are for a 93 cobra from lakewood and they fit without any issues.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Strut Questions.

Reply #7
But you also have ann 84 Cougar, right?  So your spindle is different than mine apparently.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #8
Measure the width of the spindle where the strut mounts.  We'll figure this out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Strut Questions.

Reply #9
So, I fuigered out that I have stock spindles.  This apparently is NOT an issue according to KYB, as the strut they list for the turbo coupe (87-88) has the same dimensions (Center of mounting hole to center of mounting hole, width of mounting tabs) as both the Fox mustang and the SN95 Mustang.  So the mounting of the strut itself is not an issue apparently.  The overall height is.  According to KYB, the SN95 Strut is 20mm longer overall than the TC Strut.  The Fox Mustang strut is approx 5/8 inch shorter overall than the TC strut. 

So If my car is lowered 1-1.5 inches, the Fox Mustang strut seems like the right choice.

Can Anybody confirm this for me?
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #10
You want the more suspension travel, not less.  Springs (and weight) determine ride height. 

** and **

I wasn't very helpful with the early posts - comments were based on 83-86 platform, not 87-88.  Sorry for the confusion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Strut Questions.

Reply #11
Hmmmm.... so It WOULD be the SN95 struts in that case.

Not a problem man, you made me think about this more.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Strut Questions.

Reply #12
have you also tried seeing if kyb makes strut for thunderbirds?
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Strut Questions.

Reply #13
Quote from: Blackout;311530
Hmmmm.... so It WOULD be the SN95 struts in that case.

well, *I* don't know, how thick is your spindle?  (no snickering, please)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Strut Questions.

Reply #14
The physical mounting point on the SN95 cars is different than the Fox Mustangs.  To add to that all 79-86 Mustangs & 87-93 4 cylinder Mustangs all have the same spindle.  This is the same spindle that is on all 83-86 T-Birds & 87-88 non-TC Birds.  The 87-93 V-8 Mustangs have a different spindle which is the same spindle on the 87-88 TC's.  The spindle thickness at the strut mounting point is different between the first group and the second group.  Hopefully I got all of that right, if not please correct me.

I have heard of guys running the Fox struts on the lowered SN95 cars because they are shorter due to the physical mounting differences which affects bump stop. I found this on Maximum Motorsports website (actual tech, I know what the hell am I thinking):

"Why install SN95 shocks on a Fox chassis?

Shock Recommendations: SN95 shocks on a Fox chassis

Choosing Bilsteins for your 1979-93 Fox chassis Mustang? We recommend the more optimal design of the shocks for the 1994-04 Mustang. Advantages to using SN95 solid axle Bilstein shocks instead of Fox chassis shocks:

• Increase in bump travel
• Reduction of excessive droop travel
• Cellular foam external bump stops
• Suitable for coil-over conversion"

Granted this just covers the rear shocks but I thought it was worth passing on.  I know the Mustang rear shocks are shorter than the T-Brids and I ran into this installing my rear coil overs.  I still used Mustang rear shocks with a modified bracket which is here:

http://turbochuck.com/images/Parts/Shkbkt_2.JPG

Now here is a quote from Jack Hidley one of the guru's at MM on the strut issue:

"The 94-04 spindles have the strut ears moved downwards 29mm. This required a longer strut. When lowering an SN95 car you want to use the shorter Fox struts so you don't run out of bump travel. When installing SN95 spindles on a lowered Fox car, you also want to use the Fox struts for the same reason.

The only time you want to use the SN95 (longer) struts is when you want your Mustang to be at stock ride height."

The front struts are different from Fox to SN95 but the rear shocks are externally the same but the bump stops are a bit different favoring the SN95 design.

Now matching your dampers to the springs is a whole other can of worms. I would suggest contacting MM and quizzing them about how to go about this. You can really screw up a car with mismatched dampers and springs.

I have the Koni DA's on the front of my '83 but cannot say much about them on that car as I shoved it to the back of the shop about 2 years ago.  I am in the middle of bringing it back from the dead so hopefully I will see how they perform by summer.  I do have them on my '93 Mustang and love them with the Griggs coil overs.  Hope this helps.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp