Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Thunderbird Headlights (Read 17878 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Thunderbird Headlights

Reply #15
anyone ever think of building custom housings with lights? I kinda have a good idea of how to do something. I was thinkin about building a front end on my cbr that has a moto gp endurance look with a custom piaa light. it's possible to be done with a bird or cat. dunno if it'd look right though

Reply #17
I have mocked up all kinds of variations using the crude MSPaint program on exsiting photos. I have tried quad rectangular lamps, round lamps and just single rectangular lamps using the existing halo lamps that I have. The only ones that looked decent to me using the 87-88 header panel is the single rectagular lamps and the factory style headlamps. I decided to go with just factory style lamps simply because they drop in with no fuss and look the most finished.

Reply #18
 mustang owners and their luck with reproduction parts. must be nice for them huh?

Reply #19
More eyes...

Reply #20
HA!  Those single round ones make it look like
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #21
I kinda like the dual round lights, but i'd have to do the turn signals too

Reply #22
Quote from: jkirchman;316496
HA!  Those single round ones make it look like

Yeah just been goofin around with all this and there are not many really flattering looks.

Reply #23
Quote from: Watchdevil;316464
I have mocked up all kinds of variations using the crude MSPaint program on exsiting photos. I have tried quad rectangular lamps, round lamps and just single rectangular lamps using the existing halo lamps that I have. The only ones that looked decent to me using the 87-88 header panel is the single rectagular lamps and the factory style headlamps. I decided to go with just factory style lamps simply because they drop in with no fuss and look the most finished.

Quote from: Watchdevil;316467
More eyes...

What have you done to my car? :eek:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #24
Quote from: thunderjet302;316590
What have you done to my car? :eek:

It got Mo-lested! :rollin:

Reply #25
I PMED you about a set of NOS Lights

Reply #26
This forum is great!  Just bought a wonderful twighlight blue, leather & loaded, 88 Thunderbird Sport 5.0, southern car, 75,000 miles, from original owner in amazing condition.  Car looks, smells, performs, and works like new in most every way.....until I took it out after dark....the headlights are just about useless!  Peered inside......yep, the insides are full of moisture and the chrome is shot.....the previous owner put in brand new high intensity bulbs that look bright when you face the car....but put out terrible light at night.  I have seen several listings on ebay for NOS headlights for 88 Thunderbirds.....but EVERY one says for the Turbo version, not the more common base/LX/Sport models.

I know the turbo model has many cosmetic differences....but is there truly a difference in the actual headlight assemblly between the turbo/non-turbo headlights for the 87/88 T-Birds?  Can't believe ONLY turbo-exclusive front end lenses/assemblies would be available....so are there any differences?

Reply #27
The '87/'88 Thunderbirds all shared the exact same headlights. As long as they're from an '87/'88 Bird, you're good.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #28
Just like Vinnie said, the headlights are the same. It is the inner marker light that is different between the standard bird and the Turbo Coupe.
...and there was light!

Reply #29
I searched the parts list at newfordparts.com and they do list left and right headlights for the 88 cougar/thunderbird composite headlamp assembly for about $178 and $169 (left is more $$).  Didn't try to place an order, so a phone call may be in order.  Their number is 734-996-2300,  ext. 2370.  Good luck, post if they still have them.