Skip to main content
Topic: EASIEST 4 to 5 lug CONVERSION. Only need rotors from (Read 3570 times) previous topic - next topic

EASIEST 4 to 5 lug CONVERSION. Only need rotors from

I was at the junkyard today getting a new rear bumper cover for my 85 Tbird. I asked the old guy for prices on rear axles and front SN95 Mustangs. I told him I wanted to do a 4 to 5 lug conversion. OH! he says yeah that. Well s**t thats easy. Just use a Ranger or Aerostar front rotor with the old rotor's bearings. A something or other. He couldnt remember. But I did find this link from modded mustangs about it.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2-3-mustangs/50810-ranger-rotors-5-lug-swap-4cly-mustang.html

I looked up on Napa prolink and the Aerostar/Ranger rotors are 10.28" in diameter and 4.14' tall, vs a standard Bird/Cougar's 10.08" and 4.01" height. (DOesnt include the Turbocoupe's 11's) Im going to the junkyard and going to do some swapping there to find out.

Reply #1
They won't work...bearings are all different.

The ONLY way to get 5 lug fronts is: A. Lincoln Mark VII Rotors, or B. 94-96 Mustang rotor, caliper, spindle, and associated parts.

You CAN use the ranger/aerostar rear axles, but, there's the issue with the rear drums...I'm going through this now.

Best just to swap the disc brake rear from the same '94-95 Stang in, and also use a 93 Cobra master cylinder.

I'll tell ya, piecing together a system like what I am doing is a right pain in the ass. Unless you have more patience than I do...

But to reiterate, ranger/aerostar rotors will NOT work on a Tbird's spindle. At all.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
Ranger / aerostar rotors work on Mustangs  and my parts listings show mustangs and tbirds take the same rotor (pre 87 stang and non TC birds right up to 88) 
I know the inner bearing and race need to be changed, but beyond that  why wont the Ranger rotors work on the tbird ?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #3
The rotors will work if you have Mustang or TC spindles.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;310423
The rotors will work if you have Mustang or TC spindles.

Ok that makes sense
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
That and the hub size on the Ranger makes it a little trickier to find the right wheel.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #6
According to the junk guy the standard spindle with Aerostar/Ranger rotor should work. Now I havent seen this, but like I said Ill be going to pullapart to try it, Lots of usuable parts and the tires are all off and jacked up!

Reply #7
Quote from: 88FoxBird;310432
That and the hub size on the Ranger makes it a little trickier to find the right wheel.

You will have the same problem with the MK. VII rotors too. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #8
I think this is how it all knocks out but correct me if I am wrong.

Mustangs:
79-86 cars all have 10" rotors and the smaller spindles
87-93 4 cylinder cars all have 10" rotors and the smaller spindles
87-93 V-8 cars all have 11" rotors and bigger spindles

Thunderbirds:
83-86 cars have 10" rotors and the smaller spindles
87-88 non TC cars have 10" rotors and the smaller spindles
87-88 TC cars have 11" rotors and the bigger spindles

If you have the smaller brake setup then you would use the Ranger rotors up front and if you have the larger brake setup you would us the Mark VII rotors up front.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp