Skip to main content
Topic: Removing my AC... (Read 2639 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing my AC...

Since my AC pumps out hot air I am just going to remove everything, the pump, freon tank and the radiator thingy. Now my ac pump is driven off another belt hooked up to the PS pump which is driven by the serpentine belt. Do I need some delete kit, I don't see why, since the PS pump is on it's own bracket...

Also, can I safely remove the radiator part of the ac without freon spilling all over...I want the radiator thing for a project I want to do with my computer...

Re: Removing my AC...

Reply #1
Bring the car to a shop to have the freon removed.  It's kind of illegal to let the stuff vent into the atmoshpere.....on purpose anyway.  Looking at your post I realize you may have a leak in your lines and most of the freon is gone already if your pumping hot air into your cabin and the rest of the A/C system is in good shape.  If, in fact your A/C pump is on it's own separate belt then I don't see why you cant remove it without any problems.... Can you take a picture of the bracketry and post it for us?
It's been a looooong time since I worked on a 3.8........I remember my A/C running off the serp belt on my long departed V6......Maybe I'm going senile at 28......who knows.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
The HR980 is driven by a v-belt. It is driven off the PS pulley. You can chunk everything without any kind of delete kit. Just because it blows hot air doesn't mean the Freon has leaked out. A bad pressure switch or clutch will do the same thing. Chances are most of it has leaked out, but you never know.

If you still have R12 in the system but don't want to repair it, take it to an A/C shop and have them evacuate it. It should be very cheap if you let them keep the Freon. If you think global warming is a myth, just depress a shrader valve or take out a shrader core to let all that ozone eating R12 out. Do so outside because R12 can suffocate you and it could spray oil out of the fitting. Keep a rag over it to keep this from happening. The fine for purposely releasing R12 into the atmosphere is $25,000. (Although the EPA has never fined a private citizen for doing so)

Reply #3
Jeremy, can you confirm if I'm going senile or not?  Did some 87's come with the full serpentine setup (the A/C being part of the serpentine drive)?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
87 has the AC running off of a V-belt, which is powered by the power steering pump, which is on a serpentine belt
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
It's official then......I suffer from CRS    Can't Remember S%!T  :D

I assume that was a cost cutting technique used by Ford since the 3.8 was in many other applications and some didn't have A/C.  I've heard some earlier style (83-86) cats and birds came from their respective plants without A/C.....Any 87-88's that had the 3.8?

Reply #6
heres an OLD pic of my 3.8L to show it

and as for the 87-88's with or without A/C, i know the canadian cars didnt always get A/C, i believe it was standard in the american cars, but canadians got it optional
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
87 3.8 had two belts, 88 3.8 went to one serpentine belt setup. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #8
Mind you, I don't personally advocate environmental damage.. especially as someone who occasionally dabbles in growing his own food.. but with all the talk around here about A/C this week, I thought this might make an interesting little tidbit to throw onto the fire:

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/puron.html

This is the part of interest to this thread:

Refrigerants also known as the Dupont name Freon have been removed from the market place by force with the argument that they destroy the ozone layer.
    The offending ingredient is supposedly chlorine. The only problem with that is unless you have the I.Q. of a cabbage you will quickly realize that there are other sources of chlorine on earth. Some are produced by man and the rest is produced by nature.
    The most common produced by man is the chlorine used by munil water supplies to treat water. The second most common use is laundry bleach and pool Chlorine as well as manufacturing too many uses to name.
    Nature releases Chlorine all the time by volcanos and the oceans.
    So just do the math if the earth produces millions of tons of Chlorine and refrigerants a few thousand then nature must be producing the bulk of it.
    The other half of the scam is if Chlorine is so  bad then why are we using it still for all uses except refrigerants. The truth is that the patents on many of the refrigerants have expired and in order to stop other manufactures from making it we must get the government to force manufactures to stop making it.
    The old refrigerants were developed to be perfect never breaking down or changing chemistry, except when exposed to water the refrigerants will immediately decompose.

I neither endorse or condemn the above quote. I just find it interesting. The author apparently claims to be in the business. (further down the site from this quote)

Back to the main topic.. yes, Paul, ya gots da CRS. :p I can also confirm, at least from my '86.. V-belt between PS and A/C, serp. for everything else.

Reply #9
The offending ingrediant is not chlorine: it is CFC's.  Chrolofluricarbons (sp?)

It is a unique chlorine-flourine ion that distroyes the ozone, no the gasseous di-chlorine icon.  That artical is .

Reply #10
Paul, I use this page as my compressor lookup chart. As you can see, Ford kept changing between the HR980 and the FS6/6P148A. The FS6/6P148A are driven off of the serpentine belt. (I'll have this setup whenever I decide to drop $700 for all the parts I need). When I was hunting for the A/C mounting brackets, I found several 1986s with the 6P148A compressor. There might be some '87s with them. The FS6/6P148A have different bodies but use the same mounting points and same refrigerant entry/exit points. The actual manifolds are different between them. The 6P148A has a low side pressure port, the FS6 does not.