Skip to main content
Topic: Super Coupe vs Turbo Coupe inside space (Read 1910 times) previous topic - next topic

Super Coupe vs Turbo Coupe inside space

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not the super coupes have more room or less room inside than the '87 turbo coupes.  The reason I ask is I currently have an '87 Turbo Coupe that I'm going to end up selling because I'm just too  big for the car; I'm 6'2 and 300+.  Basically I'm looking to find out the the leg room, hip room and the height room.  I found this info on edmunds.com about the '90 SC:

Front Head Room: 38.1 in.      Front Hip Room: 57.6 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 59.1 in.    Rear Head Room: 37.5 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 59.1 in.    Rear Hip Room: 56.6 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.5 in.    Rear Leg Room: 35.9 in.

can't find anything on the Turbo Coupe because they don't go back past '90.

I really do love tbirds, but the turbo coupes, at least, aren't made for tall & fat people. 

-Andrew

Reply #1
well, i have a friend your size and he fits fine in the mn12s. infact... he's had 4 i think since i've known him with no complaints. i have a sport 88 and a 90sc and the mn12 definitely has more room, in fact, i know mn12 seats themselves are wider then fox seats from trying to make one fit onto a fox seat track.

Reply #2
My son is 4" taller than you with a similar weight, and he drives a fox mustang as a daily driver.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #3
Quote from: jangus;308556
My son is 4" taller than you with a similar weight, and he drives a fox mustang as a daily driver.

I forgot to mention that I have 2 titanium rods on my spine so I have to sit fairly straight or it irritates the shiznit out of my back.  I just really want to replace the turbo coupe with another tbird down the line and I also love the 5-speed super coupes.

Reply #4
if your ever in SW ohio ill let you drive my 91

Reply #5
Quote from: pegasus;308567
if your ever in SW ohio ill let you drive my 91

I'm in SE PA so I seriously doubt I'll ever be in your area.  lol..thanks for the offer.

Reply #6
o are you Andrew from pa with the pizza place and the IT job? we hung out a few times with the car club in jersey, try sitting in a sc, or mn12 tbird at a junkyard.

Reply #7
I drove Fox Cougars for six years until I got my '96. While driving it for the first month or two, my arm kept slipping off the door panel where I tried to rest it (habit from the Fox). It felt like there was 10' of space between me and the door. The Fox interior is much, much tighter (which I prefer) over the MN12.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Plus,the Fox is a lot better looking.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Quote from: vinnietbird;308773
Plus,the Fox is a lot better looking.

meh

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112071
i asked the tall guys on sccoa they all say its fine also there is a seat mod that will add 2in front to back movment

no room

Reply #10
i feel for you..i,m 6'3" and 285 and have a prosthetic leg...this is my
2nd 1985 anniversary car and even though i love it, only has 70k on
it and no rust, i will have to put it on the market at some point as it
is just too  hard getting in and out:mad:

Reply #11
I'm 6'5" and have no problems with fitting in the car, getting out is a pain but its just because of the length of the doors on that one.

Reply #12
i know im 6'2" 350 lbs and i have no issues on room in my XR7 SC. I think it has more room than my old 84.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #13
the room is okay once you get in, its the getting in and out for me getting past the door pillar. i would love to know about any track relocaters if someone has an answer.

Reply #14
The SCs have power adjustable bolsters on the side of the seatbacks to "hug" you in place.

It is my understanding that on the first year or two (89/90) the bolsters were bigger (stuck out more) and made getting in/out of the seat a bit more challenging. For that reason the bolsters were redisigned to be a little less obtrusive.

You may want to research for sure which years had which versions of the seats...May help you with ease in and out.