Skip to main content
Topic: beware of your friends! they leave things behind. (Read 1259 times) previous topic - next topic

beware of your friends! they leave things behind.

I haven't had a AMC  for very close 30 yrs. my dad had 4 door one ,  when I was a teenager. 
this ambassador 990  was given to me free from a  friend, i know for over 45 yrs.  it sat in his yard for about 10 yrs . one day, he was passing by at work. I ask him, what he wanted for that AMC. his reply was,  you can have it.
 when I got home from work that night, here she sat.  but I will give him $50.00 money because  he a friend ,if he will take it.
it's a roller and only rust is on the surface from thinning paint.. so now I need to find a complete V-8 AMC drive train.

I'm thinking it a 1967 model. it has manual drum brakes and manual steering with no A/C.  I would like to find a 401 AMC and 9 inch ford rear end  .one thing about AMC. you can see some ford/mercury/dodge styling in this one. can you find them?

so tell me how a seat can do this, still in the car?

I guess, I will paint it this summer back to same factory blue for dad and mom.

remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #1
I have the exact same kind of steering column in my '74 Jeep truck.

I'd put a V6 in it, it'll make more power than a 401....:flip:

In all seriousness, a 401 will be fairly hard to find. They're highly sought after by the Javelin crowd, and there weren't a lot made anyhow. I think you could find a 360 a hell of a lot easier.:blahblah:

Then again, I suppose some people get a hard-on by shoving the biggest V8 they can find into every can they have. :makefun:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
i think theres ford, gm and chrysler in more than the styling of those amc cars.
dont give your friend money for the car, just do something nice for him like a fancy dinner, ect.(about $50 nice should do)
i see abunch of those things for sale around here but with a oddball car parts cars are a must, which i could not do.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
as big as that engine bay looks you could fit about anything in there.. 460 ford, BBC, BB Mopar take your pick...

If you just want an odd ball Idea... how about a Twin turbo stroker Winsor.. ala 393 cid.. done right could be 700-800 HP

If you want low buck, pic your flavor of small block and fave carb... and roll on

so many engine and trns combos can be dropped off in there......

the headlight rimind me od a Ford Galixie....
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #4
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;308488
I have the exact same kind of steering column in my '74 Jeep truck.

I'd put a V6 in it, it'll make more power than a 401....:flip:

In all seriousness, a 401 will be fairly hard to find. They're highly sought after by the Javelin crowd, and there weren't a lot made anyhow. I think you could find a 360 a hell of a lot easier.:blahblah:

Then again, I suppose some people get a hard-on by shoving the biggest V8 they can find into every can they have. :makefun:

your funny. i don't know about big v8 given a hard-on but these :ies: might.

Reply #5
AMC's are cool IMO.  I've been looking for one off and on, and if one came by for free, I'd find it hard to refuse.  Even if it is an Ambassador.  (oh, and 390 FTW)
1987 TC

Reply #6
man put a 355 small block in it

Reply #7
It looks a lot like a '66 or so Fairlane.  I like it!  It would be cool to stick with an AMC motor if possible.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #8
Quote from: HAVI;308498
AMC's are cool IMO.  I've been looking for one off and on, and if one came by for free, I'd find it hard to refuse.  Even if it is an Ambassador.  (oh, and 390 FTW)

thanks .here one for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCE2P7J1Cw

Reply #9
I'd ize it with a 460 without a second thought. Nice score.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
the v8s in those are the same block from the 304 to the 401, just a different bore and stroke...
[/SIGPIC]
98 navigator
92 ranger
72 f100 4camm mod motor, overdrive auto, mkviii dash and console, jag rear:D
75 turbo pinto

Reply #11
401's were used in the early wagoneers also. Might be the place to start looking for one. I say keep it AMC all the way. But I'm biased. My first two cars were AMC's. And ironically enough, there both now resting in a Montana junkyard.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #12
Quote from: TBone;308614
I'd ize it with a 460 without a second thought. Nice score.

me too
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10