Skip to main content
Topic: For those who have replaced their ign lock cyl (Read 3011 times) previous topic - next topic

For those who have replaced their ign lock cyl

And don't want to use 2 keys for the car?

I found this out when I lost the keys to my 1987 XR7.

When you replace the ign lock cyl, the replacement key has the long, uncut shaft (easy there fellas), with the cuts at the end for the ignition. Reason why it comes like that is because the molds for our ignition, and molds for our door locks are on 2 different halves of the key. The top half of the key is for the doors, the bottom half is for the ignition. What I did was:

I pulled the driver's side door lock (took all of 5 seconds) and the replacement ignition key and took them both to my local locksmith. In 1 hour they had my car's door lock molds cut into the replacement igniton key (the part that is not cut). It costed all of $6 for them to do this and VIOLA! I have created a new door/ignition key for the car. Simple, cheap and better than using 3 (door, ign, trunk) keys for the car.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Re: For those who have replaced their ign lock cyl

Reply #1
That's an excellent idea!  I had always wondered if something similar were possible.  My brothers Taurus has the 3 key problem and it's a pain.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #2
Nice move, Bill.
Why doesn't it say that anywhere in the Haynes manual(s)? They usually have those helpful notes...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
If only I'd known about that 8 years ago, having one key woulda been a lot easier.
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

Reply #4
How can I say this...it's not exactly a secret, but it's not something that was ever advertised either. Anti-theft preventative, let's say. Were this knowledge to fall into the wrong hands, locks could easily be opened. So let's not advertise this...shhhh. ;)

Reply #5
Quote from: EricCoolCats
How can I say this...it's not exactly a secret, but it's not something that was ever advertised either. Anti-theft preventative, let's say. Were this knowledge to fall into the wrong hands, locks could easily be opened. So let's not advertise this...shhhh. ;)

but i does'nt really matter much anyone who know these cars"foxbody" it takes two seconds to open the doors on our cars without the key:( :shakehead
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #6
who would want to steal our cars anyways :p
I only have an ignition key, cuz the guy i bought it from lost the keys and was starting it with a screwdriver. never got the doors rekeyed, just found the code for the keyless entry and used that

Reply #7
Yea I found out about the ign and door locks having a different amount of pins when I bought a TC with no keys... One of my other Birds keys would work the doors but not the ign. The key the locksmith made had different cuts on the end and would would work doors and ign... 

Since I installed the Taurus remote keyless entry, all I really need is the ign key....

Reply #8
but i does'nt really matter much anyone who know these cars"foxbody" it takes two seconds to open the doors on our cars without the key

who would want to steal our cars anyways

OK, there are the security issues I'm talking about. Is it easy to break into these cars? No more or less so than in typical 1980's GM cars, which are still among the highest stolen cars today. Do we really want to advertise that? I would say a resounding 'NO'. You and I and others may know the technical aspects of how to do it...that doesn't mean we should tell the world. :)

And it's not about stealing the cars...sometimes a thief just wants to break in and steal what's inside. Why make it easier for them?

Guess I'll share my lock story too. When I first bought the convertible in 1996 it had 3 keys (separate ignition key). I hadn't even started COOL CATS yet but I found a dude through the Cougar newsgroup that had a Fox Cougar and also happened to be a locksmith. I asked him if something could be done about my situation. He was extremely polite and helpful. Basically I scanned my keys and e-mailed him the JPG file. About a week later a new ignition lock cylinder, pinned to my door keys, arrived in the mail. Popped that bad boy in and it worked like a charm. I live in Ohio....this dude was in Florida. Technology is amazing. :) Ironically I shaved the door locks in 2001! We tried to get hold of a set of locks for a Mustang police car, which has one key for everything, even the glove box, but he was not successful. For me that would be the ultimate solution, because I'm stuck with the round key for only the glove box and trunk. But since everything is on remote control via the alarm system, it really doesn't matter unless the remote's battery dies.

Reply #9
i was goofing around on this thread  when i first posted i stated not just how easy it was to do but how it was done. then i realised that i should edit my post..for a long time i was thinking of removing the door lock rods going threw the door panel.. just for the reason that it is that easy to do.. ie unlock.. the first the i showed Steve"cougarking" he said he heard of how it was done but never tried.. but when i showed him how easy it was.. and it took me all of two seconds!!! he said... SOB!!! and said something going to have to be done about that..and again said SOB!!!
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #10
But Eric, the bottom line is, if someone wants to get a key to my car, they need one of two things, either one of my keys or one of my locks. Neither of which you should let fall into the wrong hands. If someone I don't know is going to steal my car, they're probably going to break the aforementioned parts anyway. Would that guy have been able to make you a new lock cyl if you hand not sent him a photo of your key first? don't think so! I fail to see at all how this can allow someone to steal my car easier, seeing as how the car must first be unlocked for you to pull the lock out without breaking it or the door. I was able to do this because my car door was already unlocked and in that case you need a key first to unlock it, or a careless owner. There was nothing harmful stated in my post, it was merely a tip on how to merge a replacement lock cylinder key with your door key, which by the way is the procedure for almost any manufacturer that uses a single key for doors/ignition.

Reply #11
No Bill, that's not what I meant. What I'm saying is, if someone that is a little on the shady side knew the exact procedure, then we'd ALL be at risk for a break-in: Hmm, CJ is coming up...all the info at Cool Cats...we know where all the cars will be at which hotel... See what I'm saying? That happened back in '99 to someone I know. Screwdriver through the lock...wasn't pretty. That was a simple break-in and not a stolen car scenario, but they still went through the lock. Keys don't make one bit of difference with a break-in, but the locks sure do.

But if you're talking stolen keys, knowing that 5 out of the 10 pin positions on a Ford key work the lock--not all 10--gives someone a better chance of copying a key without actually having it in their possession, using a master key. Most people probably think all 10 pins started the car or opened the door. There was a lot of mystery in that...now there's not. ;)

What you did was perfect for everyone going through the same thing. But that same procedure also (literally) opens the door for malicious activity.

Reply #12
Ok, I see your point, however, I would still have to say that it couldn't have been that much of a mystery seeing as how I found this out without even having to look far from a local locksmith in my town, who had a book reference on this. Something that I'm sure many have come to own in the last 19 years. From what I've seen here, it seems like most people here who had an issue with keys has found out as easily as I did. Now since I've replaced the cyl on the 1987, that would complete the saying that every fox cougar I have ever owned (5) has had a replacement lock cyl, and now so does my 1993 Mark VIII (when I purchased it, you could start it without the key, ironically 1997-98 models have the flush, set in lock cyl now with a different style key). You don't think that any of the previous owners (or service guys) have figured this out if it was ever asked if you could use just one key? We have serious issues then if they've placed 19 years of car security in the hope that nobody has more than 1 brain cell to take a ford door lock/ignition cyl and examine it.

Reply #13
If you're a locksmith, it's common knowledge obviously. If you as an owner ever need to have it done, then more than likely you find out. But if you never knew about it, it's still brand-new knowledge...I count 3 people above that didn't know! Personally I've never needed to change out an ignition lock, ever. I chose to change the convertible's for the sake of having 2 keys instead of 3. I'm sure there are others around here that have never had a problem too...and some may have. My guess is that most of the people on this board didn't know this. Same thing goes for the door locks. Unless they absolutely have to mess with them, it's unlikely people will know how to remove them, or the trunk lock, unless they've got some good mechanical knowledge or someone tipped them off...like we're sort of doing here. :)

My family has a load of GM cars, some with single-sided keys, some double-sided. Are they set up the same as Ford keys? Not a clue...never had to mess with one. That's what I'm trying to say. You and I mess with stuff all the time...a lot of people don't.

Reply #14
-actually the front half of the key operates the ignition, the back half does the door lock.  some people even goe as far as putting 2 cars on one key.  the older cars only read one side of the key so you can cut one side to do on car, and the other side for a different one....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool: