Skip to main content
Topic: Dash brake light issue? (Read 2582 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash brake light issue?

Driving home tonight it noticed my dash light for the e-brakes come on.
I did a quick push down on the e-brake and released it to make it go away at a stop light. However a little bit down the road and the light came back on again. So other than notifying you of the e-brake being on, what else can the light inidicate? Low brake fluid/pressure too much pressure? Or am I in a money pit of trouble?
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Re: Dash brake light issue?

Reply #1
check the switch on the e-brake

Reply #2
the spring on my pedal is worn and doesn't push the pedal all the way back up. just pull the pedal towards you when its released and the light will go out. Wiggle it and it'll go on, off, on off...

Sounds like I'm not the only one with the annoying problem. I just hate lights being on that shouldn't, even if it doesn't mean anything :rolleyes:
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #3
Check your fluid level as well - a quick check could prevent big problems down the road

If the fluid is low and your pedal feels normal (doesn't sink) you may have worn front pads (the missing fluid is in the calipers, in which the pistons are fully extended because of the worn pads)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
I'm not 100% sure that's what the problem is. It happened after I started moving from a dead stop. I would go for a little ways and it would either shut itself off or when I fully pressed the brake pedal down again it would shut off as well.

Reply #5
just get in the car, put foot on brake and release the parking brake. With ignition turned to "run" (don't know if the lights come on in accessory), wiggle the parkbrake pedal and see if the light comes on and goes out. If so, you found your problem. As far as I know, the light only comes on to tell you the parking brake is still set, and it turns off when the pedal is past a certain point
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #6
And if that doesn't work, you need fluid. That's happened a lot to me in the past...it was always a hair low on fluid. Check that ASAP.

Reply #7
it actually warns you that way about fluid? News to me :D

and I haven't bothered fixing my pedal issue since the cable going to the brakes is snapped (well whatever was on the end popped off) but I still haven't gotten around to fixing it. As long as I don't park on a hill, I think I'm fine :hick:
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #8
Well, aded some brake fluid and viola, no more light. It looks llike there is a floater type device in the fill hole of the resevoir. I'm still not sure why the light came on when I pressed the brake, and went off when I let go. Seems like it should've been the opposite. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Reply #9
That's great!

Now you just have to find out where the missing fluid went. Check your pads and shoes for wear. Worn pads and shoes cause more fluid to stay in the wheel cylenders and lowers the level in the resevoir (sp?).

Or you may have a break fluid leak; bad brake line, leaky wheel cylender...

Reply #10
It's prolly the "weeping" rear brake cylinders that's causing it. I didn't have to put very much in like Eric said, maybe an ounce or so. I hadn't checked the resevoir in a while so I shoulda just put fluid in to begin with. I'm also wonder if even though it's a closed system, that some brake fluid may "evaporate"?

Dash brake light issue?

Reply #11
I know this is an old post but I can relate right now, light comes on when I accelerate, goes out, fluid level is good, brakes seem ok, afraid to set and release parking brake due to chance of not getting it to release because I have had the car almost 5 years, never used the e-brake. Any ideas ?