Skip to main content
Topic: New guy with a bad problem 88 turbocoupe (Read 2592 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy with a bad problem 88 turbocoupe

Reply #15
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;306172
Welcome to the site Great88.  Nice to see somebody else who enjoys Fbodys on here ;)  You might look in the For sale section here and at turboford.net for somebody parting out a TC. 

How on earth did you get 11.30s @120 out of your car on on 87?  My wife accidentally put 87 in my stock LS1 one time and the detonation was horrible!

I bought a wiend aluminum  ls6 intake /IPorted it Gasket matched it.
put 28.8 injectors/did a stage 2 port job myself on the heads with stock valves/ gutted the maf "removed the center plane" .Hooker supercomp long tubes with 3" y pipe "no cats" Futral motor sports custom grind cam 228/232/585/595@113+1 "saaweet tq. cam"
3500 stall 4:10 gears --For some odd reason my car is faster than it should be--it runs pig rich 12.5 afr! but it makes more 1/4 mi hp.
if I lean it out to 13.5 14.0 it drops "i shiznit you not" 2 tenths in the q-mile. Speed inc did my dyno tune.
It detonates?? It should never do that--the knock sensors in these things are so sensitive and spot on.I see knock retard with hp-tuners but I never hear or felt it., I would look into this.
lmao I have still to this day the fastest 2:73 n/a qmile time on ls1tech.com 11.97@112 on dr's :bowdown:.
If you want to get that thing movin--I could get it 11.6 range really fast for ya. All my parts are used minus cam. I did it for about 1600 bux total ;) The hardest thing to do on the motor is a cam swap.

Reply #16
I had to get rid of the car a while back to buy a house.  The 11.30s I can easily see, just the 87 octane that is shocking.  Even on 91 I would still get a little bit of detonation on really hot days.  Same for all my local LS1 buddies.  Maybe you guys just have better gas up there.  Here is a pic of my old car.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #17
aaahh just noticed the you live in nevada.
You might have thinner air there,and high temps prob. makes it a lot thinner,
I get idle surge when its hot. but we get a really humid heat here so the car will surge trying to suck in the heavy air.
Sunburst Orange -nice color

Reply #18
sorry to hear about your problems but its very cool to see another tc'er im milwaukee we have two im my dads garage, he lives up there.
84 TC - under contruction
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX
98 F-150 XLT - 4.6, auto, 4x4, extended cab

Reply #19
Quote from: croga001;306260
sorry to hear about your problems but its very cool to see another tc'er im milwaukee we have two im my dads garage, he lives up there.
LMAO ask him if he has a spare computer  for a 88 :hick:

Reply #20
Also there are a few motor and trans combos up here fs CHEAP!
An 85 tc motor and a 86 --both with trans and both 200$ and under.
one motor is out of a Merkur. both were pulled running

Reply #21
If your still having trouble finding a computer look on turboford.net you should be able to find one there easily enough.

Reply #22
Quote from: grey88smokin;306278
If your still having trouble finding a computer look on turboford.net you should be able to find one there easily enough.
thanx --i'll give it a try

Reply #23
Well when I fix this problem -i really want to put a manual boost controller. Anyone know the best way to go about doing this?
I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff