Skip to main content
Topic: New guy with a bad problem 88 turbocoupe (Read 2598 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy with a bad problem 88 turbocoupe

Ok I always wanted a 88tc t-5,well I just bought one,and it took me 1 week to screw it up! As we all know putting a aftermarket stereo system in a tbird with the premium setup suxx to do.Well My buddy was probeing a wire commin out of the firewall harness gromet with a bad test light that had a dead short!! Well as soon as he shorted this wire out,I stopped him ,tossed his 2$ test light in the garbage and tried to start my car:mad: It started but cranked a while,and once it did start the it surged really bad:beatyoass: I tried to drive it ,it bogs/sputters dies.Then if i try to free rev it ,it wont go past 3k "breaks up" when i do get going it will not go over 3k it will boost to 5lbs max and eat gas like an ol farm truck.
before this --the car ran perfect,it only has 80k and I bought it from a woman that had it serviced regularly by a dealer.car is 100% stock
I replaced the tps and o2 --made no difference..
I hope someone really knows these cars  HELP!! I love this thing!!

Reply #1
Does/did it have a working check engine light??? At any rate it should be scanned for codes, if it will not give any codes(I mean absolutely nothing) see below...

Sounds a lot like the problem a fellow I know had, was the computer... Happened after he shorted out the battery connection on the alternator while changing a cam belt(this is why they tell you to remove the battery cable when doing repair work)...

Reply #2
I have not seen a check engine light come on.
I will have to scan it tomorrow,I hope its not the computer ;(
Is an 87 computer the same as the 88? and does it matter if the car is stick or auto?
So if I get codes -this means the computer is ok?
Man I finally get one and its possibly toast!
so bummed
Thanks I'll give it a try

Reply #3
Do you know what the wire went to?

Definitely pull codes.

Definitely follow the wire to see where it goes. Find out what color it is too.

The ECM isn't hard to replace, nor is it very expensive, so I wouldn't worry too much. In fact, there isn't much on these that is too expensive. Just keep your cool, and work methodically.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #4
Possibly the computer isn't the problem, but I'll post this as a FYI...

The CEL(ck eng light)was disabled on 49 states TC in '88 due to a factory EGR modification that often set a code and caused the light to come on... Most owners manuals have a paste over page stating only CA cars have the CEL...

On the computers, '87 is different from '88 as is auto from stick... This doesn't mean they can't be swapped, just what the result will be if you do...

The '87 'puter limits boost in the upper gears, but this can be bypassed with the installation of a manual boost controller... The auto 'puters also control the O/D & lockup function of the A4LD tranny, so will set a code, but should not cause a driveability issue... I assume the boost situation on '87 vs '88 I mentioned above applies, but since the automatics were boost limited by a larger bleed in one of the fittings on the turbo, I don't know for sure...

Reply #5
Well I am going at this i hope tonight.
If the computer was shot -would the car still run?
Your buddy that shorted out the bat. on the alt. did his car still run afterwards.
I already miss driving it... The one thing i really like about it the great balance between comfort and sport. Its just a fun car and comfy car.
I almost bought a supercoupe but it just didnt have the same apeal to me.
I really hope i can figure this out $oon
Thanx for all your help--I have to hurry on my diagnosis --I have a line on a 88 tc 5speed comp. for 100$ it seems a little steep but i might have to. A far more advanced comp. for my 2000 WS6 is only 50$ all day.
I never thought I would ever drive a GM but with just a cam  headers
3500 stall the thing runs 11.3 @120 on  a 1.68 60ft 87 octane :bowdown: but as i get older a Kewl car is a Kewl car:D
But I would poke my right eye out before I would get a puppies/tuner junk.
Next car I would prob. try to afford is a new stang gt.
Just tryin to give ya an idea of what i'm about.
thanks again for your help

Reply #6
The one thing I forgot to metion is when I went to put the new tps in and test the voltage it would read 5v when the tb was closed???
No mater what i did it didnt get off that range.?
I tested off the green wire and a ground as everybody told e to do.
Maybe that gives ya a better idea? dunno

Reply #7
If you read 5v on the TPS return(black) wire, it either has a open connection in that wire between the TPS and computer, or the ground circuit inside the 'puter is open... Possibly the TPS is installed incorrectly, but I doubt it... If you can measure 5v(or anything more than a few tenths),on pins 30 & 46 of the computer the problem is inside it... This would assume the signal return line isn't shorted to a power wire at some point, you did say ther wee sparks when the connector was probed...

My friends ran, belched black smoke at idle, but was so lean under acceleration it would barely go(still he drove it probably 50 miles a day like that for 2-3 weeks).. Also it had a continuous CEL, but would not output any codes to the scanner... I verified the TPS voltage was OK, so you may have a different issue...

$100 for a 'puter eh??? You can probably buy a rebuilt for that price... Guess my buddy was lucky, sold him the only spare I had for $35...

Reply #8
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;306079
If you read 5v on the TPS return(black) wire, it either has a open connection in that wire between the TPS and computer, or the ground circuit inside the 'puter is open... Possibly the TPS is installed incorrectly, but I doubt it... If you can measure 5v(or anything more than a few tenths),on pins 30 & 46 of the computer the problem is inside it... This would assume the signal return line isn't shorted to a power wire at some point, you did say ther wee sparks when the connector was probed...

My friends ran, belched black smoke at idle, but was so lean under acceleration it would barely go(still he drove it probably 50 miles a day like that for 2-3 weeks).. Also it had a continuous CEL, but would not output any codes to the scanner... I verified the TPS voltage was OK, so you may have a different issue...

$100 for a 'puter eh??? You can probably buy a rebuilt for that price... Guess my buddy was lucky, sold him the only spare I had for $35...
Guess my buddy was lucky, sold him the only spare I had for $35---DOH! ya I thought it was steep at 100$ since a cel phone has more processing capability lol.
Where can you get a rebuilt one?
I still cant beleive ford didnt have more protection on these for shorts ect. Is the comp. located in the pass. kick panel or the trunk?
I may even be able to fix it myself if its a diode or solder trace --I do have repair alot of electronics on the side. 
So i could at least try it if it is easy to get at and out

Reply #9
passenger front kick panel for computer location

Reply #10
Quote from: the_intimidator03;306082
passenger front kick panel for computer location
Thanx Doodz

Reply #11
Well I just got back--I got no response from the computer ;(
I also noticed the fans were going immediatly when the car ran.
its 20 degrees in Wisconsin lol.
So I guess its time to hunt for a computer (Gawd this Rubs)
Anyone you know has a good one let me know.
Thanx for all your help man!!!

Reply #12
W'elcom... Sorry you got a bad one...

My friends TC fans also ran continuously, I'd forgotten about that... Well whad'ya spect??? His problem was probably four months ago(no I ain't kiddin' :hick: )...

Reply #13
;)
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;306131
W'elcom... Sorry you got a bad one...

My friends TC fans also ran continuously, I'd forgotten about that... Well whad'ya spect??? His problem was probably four months ago(no I ain't kiddin' :hick: )...
Well I guess I have tons of luck but unfortunatly its all bad :punchballs:
Oh well well if ya know someone who has one let me know --I found one 60 mi. from me --but i told the guy i want a waranty that it is fact good--another one i found the idiot just cut the harness when he removed it --if he is that dumb im guessing he didnt disconnect the bat. before doing it ----yeeeaah I'm going to pass on that one.;)
Once i get a functional one ill pull mine apart --just to see if its an easy repair.
I wish i knew what and where to put a safty fuse right by the puter.
I can not believe they have none
BTW when I redo the car its being painted White with a red pearl--it has a maroon interior.
Car now is a boring slate grey.Ironicly my Ws6 was white and I painted it a custome color with 5k on it lol.
here is my other money pit--I did all the paint/body /engine all myself even the head porting
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/gallery/lotsals1

Reply #14
Welcome to the site Great88.  Nice to see somebody else who enjoys Fbodys on here ;)  You might look in the For sale section here and at turboford.net for somebody parting out a TC. 

How on earth did you get 11.30s @120 out of your car on on 87?  My wife accidentally put 87 in my stock LS1 one time and the detonation was horrible!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver