Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo Coupe Blown Headgasket? (Read 905 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo Coupe Blown Headgasket?

Sooo, I got the TC running this weekend. (New turbo)

She was running great for the majority of the day. I was riding around most of the day. Boost washiznitting at a little under 3,000 RPM and boosted well over 18lbs. After about 4 hours of driving around things suddenly went wrong. On the interstate in boost, (15psi) in 4th gear it started sounding like it was running on 3 cylinders and my boost dropped to about 10lbs. I got it back home, but it would not go over 10psi. (only tested that twice fearing engine damage.) White Smoke clouds poured out about 3 times on the way home but only for like 2 seconds. Engine idles fine and revs smooth. I was wondering am I looking at a blown turbo or blown headgasket?
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #1
Any oil  in the water or water in the oil? How much smoke was she blowing, like a little or like a turbo diesel at full throttle? If its running fine and is just lacking boost, not any power, I would take a good look at the lines going to the boost controller. Possibly the waste gate rod loosing tension?

Sounds more like you popped the gasket, do a compression check, check the rad and the oil. Make sure your not getting exhaust gas out of the radiator. I don't see a fuel pump in your sig, if you didn't upgrade now is the time to. If you didn't it probably went lean and took out the HG.

Reply #2
I was like a turbo diesel, but it only happened 2 or 3 times and not for very long. I will check the oil and radiator when I get home. Thanks!
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #3
Let us know what you find. The more specific you are the easier it is to help you get back to :burnout:

What color was the smoke, was it bogging and running like  when the boost when down?

This turbo isn't a cheap ebay turbo is it?

Did it loose a lot of power? If it is boosting but not making power its a classic sign of the timing belt jumping a tooth or two. That is common on the highway in say 4th gear but the smoking points to the HG or possibly the turbo.

Check to see if the turbo is spinning freely, if its not that could be where the loss of boost is coming from. Been there done that.

Might want to try to pressurize the radiator and see if the coolant system is loosing pressure, its easier than pulling the head to find out the HG is fine.

Reply #4
you can run compression check on the cyl. that would be my first thing
also check radiator fluid and oil..  if ALL that is fine i would then check turbo for free spinning and make sure all the connections are good and so forth

Reply #5
Quote from: grey88smokin;306043
Let us know what you find. The more specific you are the easier it is to help you get back to :burnout:

What color was the smoke, was it bogging and running like  when the boost when down?

This turbo isn't a cheap ebay turbo is it?

Did it loose a lot of power? If it is boosting but not making power its a classic sign of the timing belt jumping a tooth or two. That is common on the highway in say 4th gear but the smoking points to the HG or possibly the turbo.

Check to see if the turbo is spinning freely, if its not that could be where the loss of boost is coming from. Been there done that.

Might want to try to pressurize the radiator and see if the coolant system is loosing pressure, its easier than pulling the head to find out the HG is fine.

The turbo is spinning freely. It is a cheap turbo, but only the housing is cheap. I am not sure if it's from ebay. I had my good friend who is a 2.3t guru put garrett internals in it. After further inspection, I know for a fact it's not the turbo.

There seems to be water in the oil, but it was dark by the time I got to check last night.

The car actually idles fine sitting there, and revs fine too.

I am going to drain some of the oil/coolant tonight and let it sit for a while and see if water/oil separates.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #6
Looks like its time to pull the head, not a big job if your buddy helps out. Could be the HG or possibly the head cracked. Good luck and keep us posted.