Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 2-3l turbo xr-7 (Read 857 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

in short -how can i add 60 to100 hp in my stock 2-3l 4 cyl vin w 1986 cougar xr-7 5 speed- without spending alot of money

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #1
...nitrous...:burnout:

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #2
I am no 2.3 expert, but you'd probably get close to your goal by adding an intercooler, 87-88 5-speed computer,  and TC hood (that would bring you to 87-88 spec and give you ~35 horses right there). Keep your T3 turbo, which is bigger than the IHI used in the 87-88, and crank up the boost with a Gillis valve (with this you might not even need the 87-88 TC computer - like I said, I'm no expert) and you could probably easily pick up another 30 or so horses...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #3
A free flowing exhaust system would also be must... With that & what's been suggested, you'll have to add more fuel, which usually means larger injectors or at least more fuel pressure... If it runs lean from lack of fuel, you can possibly do damage to the pistons or at least pop the head gasket...

Maybe some of the half motor guys can be more specific, like Carmen I'm no 2.3T expert...

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #4
^^^What he said.

Open the exhaust up, 3inch downpipe, 3inch single to the bumper or split to 2 1/2 duals with a straight thru ler, up the boost some more (18-20lbs), 35lb injectors(yours might already have them I'm not sure what years got them).

You may end up needing a bigger fuel pump I'm not sure. Maybe someone alittle more knowledgeable can step in.

These motors can make alot of power without too much work.

Edit-You beat me too it man lol
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #5
cold air intake, ranger roller cam, intercooler of your choice, and a better flowing exhaust.  oh and a large VAM from an 87-88TC

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #6
before you get to making it faster, make sure you have covered the basics. little things will hurt power on these motors, or even lead to major damage if pushed the wrong way.

next, "alot of money" means different things to different people. youre gonna hafta spend money to do things right.

now a short list of basic mods, in general order of best bang for the buck(imo);
  • K&N on the VAM
  • 3" exhaust. all of it; turbo to tailpipe! straight thru ler, no flowmaster garbage...
  • front mount IC. skip right over the stock TMIC, it may be an upgrade for your car, but you will out grow it with a quickness
  • fuel pump. at least 190lph. if you know youre gonna keep modding, and we all do, go straight to the 255lph walbro. make sure its a high pressure version.
  • manual boost controller. dont make the mistake of doing this first. you need to make sure youve got a good fuel supply before turning up the boost. 17-18psi is about all youre gonna safely get with the stock fuel management, so dont push it or youll go lean under load.

that should get you there fairly easily, and be pretty safe with the stock PCM.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

1986 2-3l turbo xr-7

Reply #7
on mine, I used a cold air intake kit for a 5.0 mustang and cut the tubes to work for my setup.  with you having the stock turbo and the 45* inlet it would pay to try to find a straight inlet from a buick Type T.  here is the inlet from a buick that you would need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-T3-Inlet-pipe-Grand-National-GNX-T-Type-3-8-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a32fd2QQitemZ250544861138QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

cold air intake...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-93-5-0-MUSTANG-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-KIT-MAC-UPR-BBK-STYLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b9100eabQQitemZ110479019691QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

also for some more performance type parts visit, http://www.stinger-performance.com
enjoy :D