Skip to main content
Topic: Yet another young death... (Read 1743 times) previous topic - next topic

Yet another young death...

~"Jimmy" James Owen Sullivan "The Rev"~
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

http://www.avengedsevenfold.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rev

One of the best modern (Formerly) living drummers, If not The Best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_UKfsWBWSE
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #1
yeah,,, im sure the emo scene is full of teary eyed young men along with all the 14yr old girls.

we wont hear how a 28year old dies of natural causes ,, ie- same for brittney murphy although there must be something to "still" hide yet with that gal.

either way, rest in peace

Reply #2
What is the average life span for a rock star these days anyway?  I once remember reading it was either 27 or 37...
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #3
Well, people drop dead all the time for no apparent reason...until an autopsy or (hidden) medical conditions come to light...

Look at the first vocalist for Drowning Pool, Dave Williams.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of doubt right here and right now, that if I was more well known than I am, and had a terminal (or potentially terminal..) medical condition, I wouldn't tell anyone of it, unless it was contagious or communicable. No way.

I wouldn't want the pity and attention it brings.
And I suspect I'm not the only one with those thoughts.

Rather than assume that because The Rev was a drug addict, or whatever, wait till the facts come to the surface.

And as far as emo...lol, I don't really think Avenged Sevenfold are anywhere close to "emo".

Do yourself a favor, and listen to a band before applying a label to 'em. ;)

RIP Rev. :bowdown:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #4
That sucks, they had some good tunes. Not my fave band but i enjoyed some of avenged sevenfolds  music. RIP dude.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
yeah, his whole life way ahead of him.  hope they figure out what happened.

since is was of natural causes, it shouldnt be long before we understand why he died, not that its really any of our buisiness either.

Reply #6
Anytime someone that young dies unexpectedly it is suspect. That's why people knee jerk right to blaming drug abuse. It's the nature of the beast i guess. Drugs, illness or whatever the reason its still a tragedy. I can't exactly say my heart weeps but it's still a  shame.

So that's 2, i wonder who # 3 will be?

~John~

Reply #7
that guy was born only a year before me(on the same day no less) and died of "natural causes"?
what exactly would be "NATURAL" for someone dieing that young from... :/
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #8
So that's 2, i wonder who # 3 will be?
, I hope i didn't Jinx him:
NEW YORK—Eric Gates, former television personality for Discovery’s "Mythbusters" died in an untimely accident

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/27226/

http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/tag/eric-gates-mythbusters/

~John~

Reply #9
Quote from: amooset;304362
What is the average life span for a rock star these days anyway? I once remember reading it was either 27 or 37...

Interesting you asked that question.  The very people keeping it as high as it is pretty much set the culture for all the ones dying so young.  Look at the number of geriatric rockers that made it throught the drug scene of the 60's and 70's, and are still producing some of the best music of today.  I wonder how so many of them are still alive, let along still performing.  For example:

Paul McCartney/Ringo Starr (The Beatles)
Mick Jagger / Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones )
Robert Plant / Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin)
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Roger Daltry / Pete Townsend (The Who)
Steven Tyler (AeroSmith)
Gary Rossington (Lynnyrd Skynnyrd)
Dusty Hill/Frank Beard/Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)

There is certainly some rumor that Keith Richards is actually a mummy that is chemically preserved, and yeah, he kinda looks it.  But, STILL one of the best guitarists ever.

I hate to see young life end, because we'll never know what the real talent would have been.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #10
Quote from: Old_Paint;304497
Interesting you asked that question.  The very people keeping it as high as it is pretty much set the culture for all the ones dying so young.  Look at the number of geriatric rockers that made it throught the drug scene of the 60's and 70's, and are still producing some of the best music of today.  I wonder how so many of them are still alive, let along still performing.  For example:

Paul McCartney/Ringo Starr (The Beatles)
Mick Jagger / Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones )
Robert Plant / Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin)
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Roger Daltry / Pete Townsend (The Who)
Steven Tyler (AeroSmith)
Gary Rossington (Lynnyrd Skynnyrd)
Dusty Hill/Frank Beard/Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)

There is certainly some rumor that Keith Richards is actually a mummy that is chemically preserved, and yeah, he kinda looks it.  But, STILL one of the best guitarists ever.

I hate to see young life end, because we'll never know what the real talent would have been.

You forgot to mention Black Sabbath.  Yes, ALL of them are still around.  These guys are really screwing up the statistic!  Morbid as it sounds, rockers should either die young or hang it up when appropriate.  I'd much rather see them die in their prime than try to hang on to the glory until they become shells of who they once were metallica, rolling stones.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #11
How about AC/DC or Meatloaf?

Those guys are all old now but still rockin.... I do realize AC/DC has a different lead singer now, but he's been with them for a long time.
There is still nothing like the older rock... the new stuff just isn't the same. there are only a few newer bands that I like.....and most of them, it's only a few of their songs.

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the newer bands/singers have been taking the older stuff and remaking it? They suck at it BTW! LOL
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #12
Quote from: LittleAngel1198;304601
How about AC/DC or Meatloaf?

Those guys are all old now but still rockin.... I do realize AC/DC has a different lead singer now, but he's been with them for a long time.
There is still nothing like the older rock... the new stuff just isn't the same. there are only a few newer bands that I like.....and most of them, it's only a few of their songs.

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the newer bands/singers have been taking the older stuff and remaking it? They suck at it BTW! LOL

Now that's a fact!  I can't stand hearing some of my old favorite tunes put through the bubble gum machine and turned in to some kinda new age  just to make some money off the 14 year olds.  I think they call that getting old and cranky.

No way could I list all the older bands, but I just popped out a few of my faves.  As for dying young in their prime, or hanging it up when they get old, nah, I don't agree with that as long as they're crankin out good music.  For example, ZZ Top's XXX.  It went back to their roots of blues/funk/rock mix from the late 60's early 70's.  The sound is more advanced because of changes in technology, but, it's still the music they started with.  And XXX is a pretty good name for a 30 year album release, too.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #13
Seems as if nobody likes anything Metallica has done since '88 or so, I like some of their newer stuff, as well as the old.

AC/DC, Ozzy, and a select few others...nothing these days will ever compare to those. Godsmack puts on a great live show, as well as others, but if they're around in 30 years, well, we'll see. ;)

Def Leppard come to mind....they've been out there for a while, and yet they're not as old as the Stones or Aerosmith, they're no 19 year-olds either. They'll know when it's time to put it away, but it isn't anytime soon. (I hope)

Could you imagine Bon Scott still in AC/DC today? I feel that he went out like he would've wanted it to be. Rockin' hard, and at the top, and not as a has-been.

RIP to every musician...thanks for the tunes. :bowdown:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)