Skip to main content
Topic: Longwood dual fuel furnace... (Read 8815 times) previous topic - next topic

Longwood dual fuel furnace...

Does ANYONE here (besides me) have one.

I'm having some problems with mine, and I'm looking for a fellow owner who may have the owners manual etc that they could scan and send me.

I have a Mark VII, with a Beckett AF burner/pump, uses heating oil (diesel) and wood.

ANY info would be very greatly appreciated :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

PS, Longwood has been out of business for years now, and the last stash of parts has been sold for a long time, I've been literally searching online for 3 hours, found a few needing put together for sale on cl, but apparently the manuals are hard to come by...

Again, thanks if you have any info!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
Yup, saw that, an already emailed him about it, thanks anyway though :D

One of my problems was that the ignitor rods were all gunked up, cleaned those off, cleaned the dust off of the limit switch, and all seems to be working as it should again. :bowdown:
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #3
i have a copy of the manual for the longwood dual fuel furnace free of charge if anyone wants it here is the link to a free pdf download on my site. it manual should be similar for the lognwood furnace series. http://www.pcrepairforums.com/thread-48.html

Longwood user here

Reply #4
Hi: I'm a fellow Longwood user as well. Mines been in service since 1987. I had to do some repairs about 10 -12 years ago. The floor at the back of the unit burned through. I pulled the unit out of the basp00get and brought it to a local welding shop and had him add a piece of rolled quarter inch plate along the outside bottom surface (from about the 4 o'clock to the 8 o'clock position) from the end of the section with grates all the way to the back wall and he also replaced the back wall with thick plate as well. I do have all the original paperwork for the unit and can help you out with any dospoogeentation you need. I had issues with my burner a few years ago and I called Beckett directly and talking with a tech there and he knew by the burner model number that I had a Longwood furnace. Anyway, he was able to provide me with part numbers for repair parts and redirected my call to the parts department and the guy set me up with what I needed to get back up and running.
There's a company in New York that was making a few repair parts for Longwood furnaces. I bought a few sets of the replaceable grates (rolled plates, not cast iron) from them: EQUINOX MANUFACTURING 718 589-6365; EQUINOX @AOL.COM . The parts fit well and I get a few seasons out of them. Because they are plate and not cast iron, they tend to curl up a bit but they do fit and work well.
I wish Longwood was still in business. They made a good product. I heat two floors of living space and the basp00get (about 3,500 square feet total) with about 6 to 7 cords a year (harvested off my own land). I buy a tank of oil every 3 years or so. I only use oil in the chilly months (October, part of November, part of March, April). It was 12 last night and the house was nice and toasty.
Let me know if you need any dospoogeentation.

Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #5
That'd be great Rick, and many thanks. Mine is still alright, but it's finicky at times. I need to replace the board just to the right of the of the transformer...the board has the little red button that resets the switch in case it runs out of fuel. Mine occasionally shuts itself off and I have to go push it down 3-4 times before it works as normal again. Thing is probably as old as I am, and I'm too ed close to 40.

Anywho, if you want to send me a copy of your schematic and operators manual, I'd be willing to pay you for it. Whatever method is easiest for you.

By the way, mine can handle logs up to 4' and 12" thick. Good stuff.

It's been down to zero F a few nights lately, been ed glad for good wood heat. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #6
Any pictures. Sounds interesting. :-)
Mercury Cr@Zy:hick:

Reply #7
all i burn in mine is just wood the burner is still there but we have no propane lines but i want to try to hook up a 20 gal propane tank up to it and use it to light the wood that is my next project. also the damper door on the ash pit door does not work so i had to take the motor out and i turn the door by hand now. but if you need the manual i have it and will not charge you for it it shows wiring schematics  and all kinds of stuff just look down at my last part for the download of the manual have sent it to like 5 people now.

Reply #8
I called Equinox Manufacturing today and they sell replacement draft damper assemblies for $170.95. The set of 4 grates has gone up to $161.20. Their # is 718 589-6365.
Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Longwood furnace manual download now.

Reply #9
ok i am getting overloaded with emails from so many people wanting this manual so i will upload the link to download the manual on my site. no need to register it should work as a public download.

http://www.pcrepairforums.com/thread-48.html

Reply #10
This is good stuff, when I replaced some parts on mine back around the second week of january, it was invaluable.

Although I think I have water in my fuel line, as it almost never wants to stay in a steady "on" for longer than 10-15 seconds...almost as if it's not getting enough fuel. Waiting till  near summer isn't the best time to repair one's woodstove, though.

I've got a new filter for my fuel tank, and I'm going to drain it dry, blow out the lines with dry compressed air, and then install the new filer. I've also put a lock on my filler cap, as I think someone may have tampered with it, and left it open, causing water from snow and rain to get in. The kids didn't own up to it, so it may have been someone out here assing around with stuff...
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #11
Oh, and many thanks trenten...appreciated. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #12
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;434262
Oh, and many thanks trenten...appreciated. :)

no problem happy to help. i just updated the links to my own website so the link should never go down unless it is maintenance on the site. linking on other forums is very unreliable.
also winter time again so more people will be needing it. :)

Reply #13
Forgot about this thread! It turned out that my flame detector (electric eye) was bad. I also did put a new filter on the tank outside, too. Works great, and is doing a mighty fine job of turning my firewood into piles of ash. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0