Skip to main content
Topic: 88 turbo coupe problem (Read 2324 times) previous topic - next topic

88 turbo coupe problem

hey my car build 10lbs boost but feels a little slugish after 3000rpm only code was brake on off falt

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #1
Yeah...that's vague.

Could be any number of things.

Since we don't know what else you've actually done to the car yet (tune up? timing?) all we can do is guess.  At least you ran codes though.

More information (and punctuation) please.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #2
it has new plugs wires cap rotor timming set to 10 degrees umm new alterater sorry for the spelling no thermastat right know but putting one in today cat is puntched out thats all i can think of right know oo yea when the motor is cooled runs good sometimes wonce builds above 6 lbs boost loses power.

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #3
, and . still work!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #4
ok?

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #5
i just found the wire in foil running to the tfi conecter
cut off what does it run to?

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #6
id need to see a pic to know what oyu are talking about.  have you changed air filter?
84 TC - under contruction
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX
98 F-150 XLT - 4.6, auto, 4x4, extended cab

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #7
Need to see pics too. There is a braided wire that wraps another wire and just ends in the foil. You should not disturb the foil though. I had a 87 Tbird that ped out at the 2800-3000 rpm mark. It would pull hard then hit a wall.it still said 10 psi but I would have to back off the throttle for it to run right. Turned out there was a TSB or SSM from Ford for that problem. It needed a new PCM. That fixed the problem for me.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #8
i think my problem is my Idle Air Control it sticks ever once and a wail rpm stays at 3000 rpm so i shut it off and will not start back up till it get cold or i unplug it.

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #9
Could be the TPS too.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #10
The IAC has nothing to do with how the car runs, it just controls the idle.  It's probably dirty, which is causing your occasional hanging idle.

How did you set the timing?  Did you do it the SPOUT connector unplugged?

What color is the wire that's cut?  The signals between the ECU and the TFI module run inside the shield (the foil).

Please work on your punctuation, etc in your posts.  Hard as hell to follow you.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #11
i used a timming light the spout was out during timming set at 10 degrees and im just putting a whole new throttale body with new tps and AIC on it got it off my spare motor and that wire is bare and covered with foil and it shinny ha ha sorry.

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #12
Quote from: dgmann995;305090
is bare raped in foil

I think you either need to learn how to spell and use a little punctuation, or report this to the proper legal authority...

88 turbo coupe problem

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;305150
report this to the proper legal authority...

He tried...Chuck told him to use better punctuation :rollin:

That right there is sig worthy, imo...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)