Skip to main content
Topic: V6 exhaust (Read 906 times) previous topic - next topic

V6 exhaust

I see there's plenty of V6 users here.

What if anything can be done to make the V6 sound better?  I'd be happy to keep the single exhaust as it's much simpler than moving fuel filters etc.

Is there a good sounding ler for the 3.8?
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

V6 exhaust

Reply #1
When I had a V-6 years ago,I had a true dual exhaust made for it with a crossover pipe midway between the exhaust manifolds and the lers,and a nice pair of turbo lers.Not glasspacks,not Flowmasters,just simple turbo lers.The car had a nice tone without sounding like the tuners,and it wasn't embarrassing.Sounded like the old Grand Nationals (if you ever heard one).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

V6 exhaust

Reply #2
I've got 2.25" tubing from the manifolds to a high flow cat, then out as  2.25" dual into twin Flowmaster knockoffs(Previous owner did the exhaust). I like it, very quite at idle though :(. If you get on it though, you get a nice little rumble.:D
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

V6 exhaust

Reply #3
Search may yield more results.

On my v6 years ago I ran 94-up factory headers as they are tubular,  Mustang 2.5 H-pipe, too two 2.25 tails through flowmaster 40's.  You can clear the passenger side jsut fine you just have to smart when runnng the pipes as anything more than 2.25 wont clear easily.

V6 exhaust

Reply #4
if you just want a cheap dual set up, use the factory Y pipe for the fake duals on an '88 XR-7 then run a pair of lers of your choice, then mustang tailpipes with tips.

V6 exhaust

Reply #5
All great ideas.  At least the exhaust is pretty much the last bit to be done.  Lots of decisions.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

V6 exhaust

Reply #6
On my first Cougar which was a 3.8; I ran stock manifolds to 2.25" tubing aftermarket catalytic converters and glasspacks.  Great sound @ idle and part throttle.  Slightly raspy, yet not obnoxious at full tilt.  Loudest exhaust setup I've owned to date.  Also a noted improvement in power.

My current car can set off an alarm at idle if I'm close to that car.  When I had that exhaust on my 6 pot, I remember setting one off from about 40 feet in a public parking lot.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

V6 exhaust

Reply #7
You also do not need a crossover, like and H in the h-pipe.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

V6 exhaust

Reply #8
on my v6 i running 94 mustang longtube headers and true dual exhaust 2 1/2 inch exhaust no cats. if you have questions read my mod list under this post. its has a really loud rumbling sound but it would sound better when i get the a high performance cam in it.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)