Skip to main content
Topic: Possible Transmission Problem? (Read 1017 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible Transmission Problem?

So I was driving the bird around today (88 with a 87 5.0 S.O. motor and trans swapped in) and it seems to not be shifting into over drive normally. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are normal but with od it seems to be hesitant to get into it. Usually it would shift around 42 mph(normal driving) and now even around 45-47 it will still rev in third and even engine brake sometimes if I let off the gas to reduce to load on the motor(where it would normal always shift into OD).

Any suggestions? Its raining out pretty hard, but I don't see how that would affect it, its not like this old car can tell or try to compensate for that like some of the new cars.

I checked the fluid and it is right up there, still bright red and no smell. Maybe the shifter linkage on the floor shifter is out of wack? I don't remember how this was set, a close family friend helped me with this. There is a small amount of play between when the shifter is in OD, i tried moving it up as far and down as far in drive but the problem was still there.

Any have any idea? I wasn't beating on the car or hotfooting it around anytime soon so I don't think it would be broken.