Skip to main content
Topic: SHO Grill (Read 1258 times) previous topic - next topic

SHO Grill

Well the Police grill is gone... Wasnt mine to begin with but I miss it being on there. Stock grill :punchballs:

So now its time to get started on my new one. Here is the plan.

Now the issue is what to fill the new holes with.

Here is what mesh looks like... I have it already but I think it looks like ass.

I even messed around with painting it different grays and black but it still just doesnt fit right..

Been thinking honeycomb but I dont think Ill like that either. I wish I could just leave them open but then you can see the ugly header panel.

I think Im going to just walk around the JY and wait til something catches my eye.

What do you guys think?
1986 Cougar LS

SHO Grill

Reply #1
i kinda like the mesh look

SHO Grill

Reply #2
I think you should make your own grill and throw the mesh in. Use the existing grill as sort of a frame to make the tranistion complete. Throw the ford emblem on it.

I'm not sure how it would look on such a round styled car though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

SHO Grill

Reply #3
Quote from: Haystack;299597
I think you should make your own grill and throw the mesh in. Use the existing grill as sort of a frame to make the tranistion complete. Throw the ford emblem on it.

I'm not sure how it would look on such a round styled car though.

This is the stock ugliness that is on there now. Ill be cutting it to look like the 1st pic which was photoshopped from the police grill.

I have had this idea drawn up since before I got the car. Im sure it wont be the last one I make.
1986 Cougar LS

SHO Grill

Reply #4
DON'T use that silver mesh.If you feel the need for it,use black.It needs to blend with the car,not be the entire focal point.Small black honeycomb would also work.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

SHO Grill

Reply #5
i think honeycomb would look good...im not feeling the mesh so much.  I have some gen2
parts mostly nose and door molds if you know anyone looking.

SHO Grill

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;299601
DON'T use that silver mesh.If you feel the need for it,use black.It needs to blend with the car,not be the entire focal point.Small black honeycomb would also work.

I was going to suggest much the same thing. Go with the mesh and paint it black that would look perfect and wouldn't shout for attention and look out of place like the silver mesh would. All in all I like what you have laid out.

SHO Grill

Reply #7
maybe even body color, if not black? You know, the car is monochromatic as is...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

SHO Grill

Reply #8
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;299636
maybe even body color, if not black? You know, the car is monochromatic as is...

Exactly what I was going to say.  I'd paint it body color if it were me.  Itself, the mesh looks OK but the silver is just too overpowering.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

SHO Grill

Reply #9
how about a completely smooth header panel? I went through this with my cavalier and finnally ended up with a combinqation i liked after playing front end swap..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

SHO Grill

Reply #10
Quote from: 86XR7project;299635
I was going to suggest much the same thing. Go with the mesh and paint it black that would look perfect and wouldn't shout for attention and look out of place like the silver mesh would. All in all I like what you have laid out.

I might try some different style mesh in black but it might make the center hole look off and I really dont want to put mesh behind that.

Quote from: 50tbrd88;299745
Exactly what I was going to say.  I'd paint it body color if it were me.  Itself, the mesh looks OK but the silver is just too overpowering.

I usually like body color grills but I think it is going to take away from what i have in mind.

Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;299790
how about a completely smooth header panel? I went through this with my cavalier and finnally ended up with a combinqation i liked after playing front end swap..

There's an idea. Im not sure if this is what you meant but Im going to pull the grill and see if I cant make the header panel less of an eye sore. That way I dont have to worry about seeing through the holes as much.
1986 Cougar LS