Skip to main content
Topic: EGR Spacer? (Read 722 times) previous topic - next topic

EGR Spacer?

I took an EGR spacer down to the machine shop and had them bore it out to 65mm.  I went and picked it up today and noticed a lot of porosity in the bore.  I was already worried about the wall being thick enough after being bored.  Now I'm really concerned about the pores in the wall of the bore causing coolant leaks.  Is this porosity normal?
William

EGR Spacer?

Reply #1
I also had mine bored out as well.No pores though.Nice and smooth.I don't think you'll have any issues with the coolant.It's just poor aluminum.Install it and you'll be fine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

EGR Spacer?

Reply #2
I'll look at the stock HO one I have laying around but it looks like if bored there should be enough material to keep the coolant out. I was going to bore a stock HO one to 65mm but ended up getting an Edelbrock 65mm TB and spacer off the 'bay for $45.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

EGR Spacer?

Reply #3
Quote from: thunderjet302;299613
I'll look at the stock HO one I have laying around but it looks like if bored there should be enough material to keep the coolant out. I was going to bore a stock HO one to 65mm but ended up getting an Edelbrock 65mm TB and spacer off the 'bay for $45.

$45???  That's a great deal.  I wish I could have found a deal like that.
William

EGR Spacer?

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;299529
I also had mine bored out as well.No pores though.Nice and smooth.I don't think you'll have any issues with the coolant.It's just poor aluminum.Install it and you'll be fine.

When I saw those pores (some look fairly deep to me) I had visions of ingested antifreeze & chunks of aluminum.  It's hard for me to feel good about this Vinnie.  :(

I'll try to take some pictures so you all can see what I'm talking about.
William